• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to lifting...

junkfixr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, what I did wasn't exactly a lift. I installed a helper spring ( add a leaf) on each side of my son's 87 Ranger and it took the sag out of the spring pack but it also lifted the rear 1 1/2 ot 2". Now the shocks are a bit short.

Do I need to take the factory shocks off, have the auto parts guy measure and try to match a set that is 2" longer ? How do you deal with measuring and choosing the proper shocks after you've done a lift ?

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
At what poijnt are the shocks too short? When the axle is at full droop or when the weight of the truck is setting on the springs? I would say i fyou can get them in witha bit of compression while weight is on them then they should be fine. a simple helper spring should not have lifted the truck so much that the shocks no longer fit.

junkfixr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
shocks

After putting the helpers on, and the truck was let back down with the full weight on it, I had to get a buddy to sit on the bed and compress the springs about 1 - 1 1/2" just to get the shocks back on. When I put the top shock bolt in, and extended the shock all the way it was still too short to reach the bottom hole without putting weight on the bed.

They also bounce on rough roads and you can hear the shock bottom out (or top out whichever is the case.) They're just seem to be a couple of inches too short now. The manufacturer stated that longer shocks may be necessary, but how to measure & how much longer?

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
jack the vehicle up by th eframe allowing the axle to droop fully till the tire leaves the ground. Measure the distance from the upper shock mount to the lower. This will give you the extended length you need. set the truck on the ground and bounce it a few time to ensure everything is compressed and measure the distance between the mounts again measure, then measure the distance between the axle and the bumpstop and subtract that length plus 1/2 inch from that length. That should give you your compressed length. Visit the major shock makers websites and find shocks that will hit those 2 lengths. Most of them will have a universal section and give extended and compressed lengths. Ensur eyou pick shocks with the proper mounting types for your application.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals