• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New shock height and brand suggestions

magnetnerd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Two new threads in one day; that's a first for me.

I'm putting a couple leveling coils in the Ranger, and I figure that while I'm at it I should go ahead and throw some new shocks at her too.

1. Do I need to get longer shocks to compensate for the taller ride height? I'm thinking not but I'm not certain.

2. Does anyone have any brands that stand out to them as very good or very bad? I don't offroad; just daily drive around town mostly, so I don't need anything insane.

3. Oh, any other components I should replace while I'm at it?

magnetnerd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Looking into it more I keep seeing two brands that pop up seemingly most often:

Bilstein HD 4600 and Monroe Sensa-Trac. The price difference between the two is fairly substantial, but is it worth it? Is the Bilstein ride $100+ better (assuming I get a good online coupon for Advance that might widen the price gap even more), or do they last that much longer?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Everyone who goes with bilstiens love them. I know I do.

As for long shocks, nope. Since all you did was change the position in which it rides. It still has the same amount if travel. Just has less down travel, and more up travel now.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Everyone who goes with bilstiens love them. I know I do.

As for long shocks, nope. Since all you did was change the position in which it rides. It still has the same amount if travel. Just has less down travel, and more up travel now.
And that additional up travel could damage a shock thats not long enough. In this application, I would guess probably not, but its something to keep in mind.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is no additional up travel..... It will still only travel up so much in total.

How is this so hard for people to understand?

I'll try and dumb it down for you.

Lets say stock height is in the middle of the suspensions travel, ok? So when the truck is stock, the tire can move down 4" and up 4"

Now, lets say he raises the truck 2" to make it level. The truck now sits in a different spot in the travel range. So now the tire can move 2" down, and 6" up. Still the same amount, 8" total. All you are changing is where it sits when sitting in level ground.

There is zero need for a new shock unless you are changing the distance between the mounting points of the shock. Like the superlift does.

A shock that's to long can break when you are fully compressed. You dot want that. From what I understand this guy isn't doing anything to warrant longer shocks. Unless I have misunderstood what he is doing.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ummmm... If you put taller springs in that are the same spring weight, you would be moving your travel up 2 inches, not losing two inches of up-travel for downtravel instead.

So if you sat 10 inches off the ground, and could go up/down 4 inches, Your range would be 6-14 inches.

Add those springs, raise it to 12 inches off the ground, now your range will shift to more like 8-16 inches.

Typically on a stock truck the spring keeps you form over-extending your shock, while bump stops keep you from compressing too far, as both can damage the shock.

dinosore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Surrey your responses confuse me...in my question about a 2wd with leveling coils and needing leveling shocks you replied

Stock height should be fine. In a 2wd truck its not likely you'll be getting full-stuff or full-extension on the shock anyways.
and now magnetnerd is asking the same question for his 2wd... all be it for a 3 year newer version then mine and you reply

And that additional up travel could damage a shock thats not long enough. In this application, I would guess probably not, but its something to keep in mind.
It's like your saying stock height shocks are fine but may be damaged...which isn't fine

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When I leveled mine I just used some Rancho shocks for a 4WD Ranger.

And dammit do I love them.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Surrey your responses confuse me...in my question about a 2wd with leveling coils and needing leveling shocks you replied

and now magnetnerd is asking the same question for his 2wd... all be it for a 3 year newer version then mine and you reply

It's like your saying stock height shocks are fine but may be damaged...which isn't fine
I can't say for sure whether or not damage will happen in your specific application. Because the change isn't that much, and there is typically a bit of leeway in your stock shocks you should be able to get away with it....but...

The best option is to install your new springs, remove the old shock, fully compress the suspension, and check the space from shock mount to shock mount. Then lift the front of the truck until your suspension is at full drop, then measure again. This will give you your collapsed/extended lengths, just find something that matches. If the stock shock is within those tolerances go ahead and use it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals