• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new motorcycle owner

jodom15sc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
title says it all, im and now the proud owner of a 1997 honda shadow vlx 600 :thefinger: i only paid 2000 for it, it has 25xxx miles on it tho
im lined up for a class (only 18) and got tags/title and everything in process, just cant deicide on a helmet yet. I think Ima buy the first helmet, both are cheapos by far since both are barely 50ish bucks...what do you guys think
and of course im still gonna drive my danger ranger, its still my first baby

the "hardly"

helmet #1

helmet #2

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I can't tell what brand those are, just make sure they're either DOT or Snell approved. If they're only $50 they may not be, unless they're on clearance or something.

Your brain isn't something you want to cheap out on.

I would recommend full face helmet, no questions asked. I've wrecked at 55mph and landed on my face, and the full face helmet was the only reason I still looked human.

BigJohn76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would go with the full face helmet. it saved my buddies face the first time he wrecked. make sure they are DOT and Snell approved. a mind is a terrible thing to waste.:icon_thumby:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Buy the first style helmet. The first has much better protective capabilities, and since you are just starting out you'll want as much protection as you can get. The helmet is one place where you really don't want to go cheap, not saying you need to get the most expensive one there is, but it's one place where cheaper often times isn't better. Personally I'd be looking to spend at least a hundred on a decent helmet, but I don't know how prices run where you are.

As for the rest of your protective equipment, leather is about the best stuff known to man when it comes to motorcycle crashes. That said don't run out to the nearest department store and buy the first leather jacket you see, for a leather riding jacket you need a good heavy weight leather made for riding. Also invest in a pair of chaps, they're worth it. I've never laid over a bike wearing chaps, but I have without and the extra protection would have been nice. The last suggestion I can give is full finger leather gloves, they will help keep you fingers warm, and protect them from road debris thrown up by other vehicles. During the summer you will get the urge to loose the jacket and just ride in a shirt, resist the urge, at least for the first year or so. Instead keep your eyes open for a textile riding jacket w/ armored padding, these can be mesh nylon, heavy weight denim. These have materials that were designed to take the impact of the road. I know I'm starting to sound expensive but you don't have to buy everything new (except for the helmet, always buy new helmets) a lot of riding gear can be found cheap at yard sales and flea markets. I've heard of friends buying brand new HD riding jackets for $10, and IIRC I paid $30 for my chaps and $10 or $15 for winter gloves at the local flea market. Also keep you eye on sales at the local riding motorcycle shops, I bought my $120 Mesh summer jacket for $80 on sale. Oh and also make sure you pick up a sturdy pair of over the ankle leather boots.

I'm not trying to sound like a mother hen or anything of that nature, I've just had a number of internet buddies recently go down and not get back up. I don't want to see another join them especially when you're just starting out.

On the other side of the table... Welcome to the 2 wheel club and have fun.

2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100C2

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nice lookin' bike! Looks like it's in great shape. Like JoshT said, welcome to the two wheel club, have fun and ride safe!

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats a hell of a deal Am in Co and Ive been looking on Craigs list and there are all these old bikes 1981-1991 and the guys want $3,000-$6,000 and if its a Harly $12,000 and am talking 10 year old bikes or older. WTF

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Welcome to the club!

Get the full faced helmet. You don't want your face looking like this:

Here is mine. :)

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would recommend full face helmet, no questions asked. I've wrecked at 55mph and landed on my face, and the full face helmet was the only reason I still looked human.

Well looking at your avatar, I would have to disagree with that statement:thefinger:

Just kidding. But I would seriously pony up some extra money for a good helmet. You certainly dont wanna spill all the knowledge onto the pavement. Its not like they can scoop it back up and put it back in your dome!

TinyBear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L Twin Turbo Direct Injection Eco Boost
Transmission
Automatic
Ditto to all the above advice. Full Face is the ONLY way to go. I also like to say investing in a name brand quailty mtorcycle rideing boot is a good idea.

My mother crashed here bike a few years ago when a car crossed into her lane. She had the skill to push it down harder in the turn and rather than head on with the car and slid into the side of it going about 80km/hr (50ish mph). She was wearing all her saftey gear EXCEPT riding boots.

For the most part other than bruising and small lacerations she was fine from head to ankle. But she did end up loosing a pretty decent sized chunk out of her left foot from the mix of SEVER road rash and she is diabetic and foot injury to a diabetic is BIG trouble. Now she rides with sport bike style ridding boots.

Me well i figured my construction boots were good enuff and stuck to riding with them. Last summer i decided to go trail riding on my BIG adv touring bike. I was wearing full saftey gear (armored textile jacket Shoie Hornet Helmet, rideing gloves and textile ridding pants and my old Construction boots) Well mid way throught the trail i get to a BIG mud patch and figured id need some speed to get through it. Well the bike nose dived in that mud and came to an sudden stop and i did not. I went over the bars and flew into a tree. Got up picked the bike outa the goo struggled through the rest of the trail and went home to asses the damage. Found out the bike was fine (has crash bars on it) but me not so much i broke my a bone and toe in my left foot that could have i been wearing proper rideing boots. ( i wear sport bike boots now too).

All that being said congrats on the new ride keep the rubber side down and dont forget to wave.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
nice bike, to the OP and to BlackBII.

I've been helping a buddy restore an XS650, been pushing him for the cafe style.

My buddies and I are an oddball collection of bikes when we ride together, one on a VTX1300C, one on a Buell S-1 Lightning, one on an XS650 (used to have a GL500 Silverwing), one on a KZ1000, and me on a supermoto (black dirt bike with sportbike tires).

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
TinyBear, very valid point. I know a guy that had a truck pull out in front of him, he managed to swerve far enough not to run right into the back but it caught his foot and caused him to crash, and tore some cartilage-like pad on his heel. He managed to keep most of his foot but apparently this tissue doesn't heal, so stepping on it is excruciatingly painful and will never get better. He's wheelchairing and crutching right now but he's seriously considering an amputation of his foot and getting a prosthetic.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I've been helping a buddy restore an XS650, been pushing him for the cafe style.

Cafe is the way to go, not very many of them out there, they turn heads when done right, thats for sure. And they are comfy to ride, as well.

jodom15sc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what brand of helmets do you guys think i should look into? full face of course haha
the first helmet photo i posted is by a company called THH (THONG HO HSING) Helmet Company, it is ts-15 approved and DOT approved....what does ts-15 mean and is that samething as snell?

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
If you're getting a leather jacket, try to find horsehide. That stuff will give you the best protection.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals