• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New guy, new project: 1988 BII wheeler

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
where the heck are the pics showing progress on the king pins and welding the diff?:dntknw:

Are they not showing up for you (red X's)? Are any pics showing? I can see em fine :icon_confused:

And BTW complecks, excellent quote under the name :D I assume you're an office watcher?

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Got a little done this weekend. The housing and knuckles are painted. I used a special paint called Chassis Black. It seems to be really great stuff for keeping out rust. It cures by absorbing moisture from the air. Just as an example of how it works, i had a small container of it that sat for a while between coats and after about 2 hours, the top of the paint was a rubber-like layer that was about 1/16" thick. I pulled it off and the good paint was still there under it. Anyway the top layer cured to a rubber-like layer that stuck together really well. When it cures to the axle and itself, it should be great for keeping out rust. Its sensitive to UV rays the color will fade with time unless topcoated, but im still debating whether or not to bother. If i was to topcoat it i would probably use bedliner but that stuff isnt cheap. Anybody have any input on using bedliner? Would it be worth it? Anyway, here are the pics!

And i also got the carrier cleaned up with the wire wheel. Looks pretty snazzy now 8)

Thats the update! Now i need to get the wheels, brake calipers, caliper brackets, and hubs painted. I also need to order my axle rebuild parts to get the reassembly started. Need to get some kind of heavy duty diff cover figured out too. I might order the kit from DIY4x.com. Its a 3/8" thick ring along with 3/8" plate thats cut to the outline of a 60 cover. I am planning on using that ring with the stock cover and some vertical spines for strength out of 3/8" and 1/2" plate. Thats all for now! Thanks guys

Sam

BII302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you got your front bumper/winch mount made yet?

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
try clear coating the axle, maybe that will prolong the uv brake down on the nice looking parts.

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
try clear coating the axle, maybe that will prolong the uv brake down on the nice looking parts.
I may try that. I am still debating whether to use some roll on bedliner as well for durability...

Have you got your front bumper/winch mount made yet?
Not yet, i plan on making it after i get the suspension in so that i can figure out the width/tire clearance since the front of tires will be sitting farther out than the bumpers haha. But after the suspension then its time for :icon_welder:!

Im just waiting on axle rebuild parts now, they should all be coming next week so hopefully the axle will be back together soon. Thanks guys!

Sam

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, havent been on here in a while so i figure i better update ya!

Have all the axle parts ready to go but first i need to build a truss for the axle that will serve as a mounting area for my panhard bar and hydraulic assist steering ram. Built one out of 1.5"x.120 wall square tubing but it just wasnt beefy enough. So i headed to the scrap yard and picked up some 2"x3"x.25" wall tubing. Heres how the two compare:

And heres the truss unwelded (i finished welding but my camera crapped out)

So now i have to notch the ends then weld it to the housing. After that, the axle goes together :icon_thumby:.

Also i have the beadlocks all painted and ready to go on the wheels. Heres the wheel:

And with beadlock ring (its olive ddrab green, darker than it looks in the pic):

Thats the update! Will post more pics when ive got em. Thanks everyone!

Sam

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I might have missed this, but why are you using a Dodge 60?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you are running a p-drop Dana 300. Nice!

Last edited:

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I might have missed this, but why are you using a Dodge 60?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you are running a p-drop Dana 300. Nice!
Yep. The dodge D60 was aslo really cheap so i went for it. Not ideal, but cheap rules for this project. I try my hand at a 1350-d300 drivers side drop doubler when i have the time. If i do i will let everybody know :) Thanks

Sam

88ranger2.95sp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sweet idea. Can't wait to see it finished.

ROb

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Well the truss is tacked in to place. Its all ready to finish weld in but some stuff came up today so i couldnt finish it. Heres how it stands now:

Clearance for the square tube that will bolt up like leaf springs:

Also got the plate that will bolt up with the differential cover drilled and welded in with innershield wire:

Flush with the diff cover mounting surface:

And heres a few pics of the welds (first one is worst of all the joints) on the truss just for kicks and critique. These were done with solid wire and gas, 3 passes at each joint:

Hopefully i can get the truss welded in tomorrow. Going out of town for labor day so probably wont get much work done on it this week/weekend. Have the material for the steering arms (3"x1" 1018) as well as the intermediate shaft (2.5" dia. 4130) for the doubler coming tomorrow. The machining of those will have to wait until next week sometime. Thanks for checking it out!

Sam

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals