• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New clutch time!

tsayyote

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So in the midst of moving and planning for a wedding, my throwout bearing decided to file for retirement Friday night.

So did some searching here and got some good info, just need some opinions on my choices. Truck is a 99 2.5 manual rcsb, bone stock with 232,xxx miles. When I bought the truck from a tow yard, I went through it and everything I could see under the hood was motorcraft, so I'd like to keep everything as close to oem as possible.

1. I intend to replace the rear main, pilot, flywheel, clutch, throwout, and slave since I'm gunna be in there. I'm looking at this Luk Repset clutch on ebay for $225 that includes the slave http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUK-CLUTCH-KIT-SLAVE-CYLINDER-FORD-RANGER-MAZDA-B2300-B2500-B3000-2-3L-2-5L-3-0L-/400388521612?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3903fe8c&vxp=mtr These guys are 15 minutes from me so I can pick it up the same day. From what I read here, this seems to be a good kit?

2. As for the flywheel, Ford gave me part number f57z-6375-a costing $190. Being as the truck has 232k on it, I just want to replace the flywheel since I'm not sure if the one in there would still even be within spec to true, but I don't want to spend $190 on a flywheel. Should I order a Luk flywheel or is there another that would be a good choice for daily driving?

3. I'm also not sure if this truck has the 6 or 8 bolt pattern bolts on the flywheel. Can anyone clarify? I'd like to replace them too and would prefer to have all the parts when I begin the job so I can finish it quickly.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

tsayyote

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
good idea! thanks for that

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Luk makes a quality product. I run Luk clutches in everything I own.

-PlumCrazy

tsayyote

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Pulled everything out today. Everything I pulled out had a Ford stamp on it!! I was expecting Duralast. lol. Previous owner kept her up well. Turns out my pilot bearing was bad, not the t.o.b.

So, I pulled the flywheel off and noticed a little oil near the crank. It appeared to mainly be coming from the back of the oil pan, so I cleaned that the best I could and put some black rtv silicone over it. I didn't pull the pan, so I don't have high hopes that this will stop the leak completely. Judging by the pictures, do you guys think I should tackle the rear main seal?

I don't have the seal installer is why I don't want to pull it if I can avoid it, but it appears to be flush with the cap, so I could make sure the new one is roughly the same position.

Anything else I should have a look at/replace while I'm back in there?

Top of the crank:

I made a little mess with the silicone. oops.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Take the flywheel to a machine shop and get it turned. Ususally runs $40 to 50, and most can be done a few times.

tsayyote

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
actually bought a Luk flywheel with the clutch set. ill probably end up giving my old clutch/flywheel away for free. its still got a lot of life on it. it was only the pilot that was bad

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I replaced the rear main seal. It was less than 10 $ from Auto Zone. :D

PS. Since my BIL told me to place the new seal a little off from the original ,so the lip seal rides on a fresh area of the hub, My seal jobs work better

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals