• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Needing a TV provider, tired of just PBS

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually I talked to one of the station managers, he said he didn't care if it came on or not, and he claimed I was the only one who had asked about it

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was looking at that and scrolled across and it had be a rotator and next over an amplifier, and on over a total of $407 and I hadn't clicked on anything yet. They have very high hopes in me :D
My sister got another antenna a couple months ago that helped hers a lot, I haven;t spent much time over there lately or asked much about it but said once it was getting good reception, even tho that's a different area than mine

My antenna has an amplifier and is in the attic up about 15 feet, I could probably get another 5 or 10 feet by putting it on top.

Actually I;m beginning to think my amplifier went out

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just a heads up
An amplifier can not increase the signal you get from an antenna
The signal at the antenna is as good as the signal gets

An amplifier can keep it from getting worse as it travels down a coax cable to the tuner

i.e. if you have a crappy recording of a song and play it thru a 10,000watt amplifier you get a LOUD crappy song out of the speakers, it can't improve the signal

So biggest antenna for best possible signal at your location is where the money should go
If you are under 75ft of coax cable and just one TV, no amplifier is needed
If you have longer cables runs and multiple TVs using splitters then an amplifier will help

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My most local stations stopped providing a local signal several years ado, apparently the law was no deterant, and PBS is ok but no local news, weather OR sports.
I just left the DISH website after speaking with an aunt about it, but all they tried to sell me was the internet, which I already get for half of what theirs is.
I'm wondering which way to go with some TV, any suggestions other than shaving my hair and moving to a monastary?
Get a TV with a Roku operating system from Walmart. Use any generic ISP service with a WiFi router to connect to several dozen totally free streaming services, including YouTube and local and national and world news broadcasts. No brainer. Just takes time getting use to searching for what you like to watch. Not a neat orderly lineup of channel numbers like old traditional broadcast or cable or satellite.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll work first on finding a local access channel, so even if I do try a Roku or a cable there will still be something that stands alone if necessary.
I think I'll pull that antenna I have apart and check the caps in it to see if any are blown and need replaced, and also try getting it up higher, likely on top the house, hopefully that will also give it a chance at least to find something going on out there, possibly also a larger antenna.
If I can't get nothing to work there I'll likely find a local cable service and get their cheapy special

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I refuse to pay for the TeeVee. Because paying for it means paying for damned commercial interruptions. NEVER.

I use wascally wabbit ears myself. Got plenty of channels to choose from too. Works for me.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hek, you;re right downtown! :D

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Me? I live off Air Depot between Reno and NE10th Street.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was looking at that and scrolled across and it had be a rotator and next over an amplifier, and on over a total of $407 and I hadn't clicked on anything yet. They have very high hopes in me :D
My sister got another antenna a couple months ago that helped hers a lot, I haven;t spent much time over there lately or asked much about it but said once it was getting good reception, even tho that's a different area than mine

My antenna has an amplifier and is in the attic up about 15 feet, I could probably get another 5 or 10 feet by putting it on top.

Actually I;m beginning to think my amplifier went out
The roofing material attenuates the signal by about 3-6 db in the best case. A wet roof will cause additional attenuation. Moving the antenna above the roof will improve signal strength quite a bit. However, with digital tv you have a picture or not. Back in the analog days it made a visible improvement (less snow).

An amplifier is only required for long feed lines where the attenuation in the feedline exceeds a given amount. I prefer losses less than 3 db, but I used to do TV and radio DXing. What really matters is the net signal strengh at the receiver after all losses. If you have strong signals at the antenna 6 db of loss isn't going to matter. If you are in an area with fringe reception you can use an amplifier at the antenna to compensate for the feedline loss, or use feedline with a lower loss. RG-6 has about 5-6 db of loss per 100 ft on the UHF channels. LMR400-75 has a loss of about 3 db per 100 feet, but is much more expensive and so are the connectors. This is assuming you have a quality run of coax. There's some real bad coax out there. You can buy good coax from the sites that sell to hams and two-way radio like Davisrf or therfconnnection. Just make sure it is 75 ohm.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I use the Firestick and a digital antenna. There are a lot of FREE streaming services, as mentioned before; PlutoTV, TUBI, FreeVee (used to be IMdB) are a few. TUBI give me live local news from all the Seattle channels, but its only news and what they want to provide off news hours. Some just repeat the news until the next news hour. PlutoTV and Tubi are my go to streams, if I want a movie FreeVee does have a pretty good selection.

We pay for the high speed internet and actually got a deal, much lower than when we first quit cable. 3 years ago our cable / internet was about 180 a month and watch maybe 10 channels total. When we drop cable the bill dropped to about 80, the then "deal" we had with the provider ended and it went to 120. Called and locked a deal for 2 years at 40. Just recently renewed at 35 a month.

The digital antenna I get about 35 area channels, mostly fuzzy because where I have the antenna, but the "just in case" internet/power goes out in the area I can still get local news.

The thing is you just need to look/search/decide what services you want to use.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Firestick or Roku etc...
My internet provider has an app for roku so I can stream some basic cable channels as well. Between yotube and the Spectrum app is plenty of content. I even cancelled my Netflix. My Samsung TV has some built in channels too, so thats 3 sources of content free...except I do pay for the yotube to get no ads, so worth it.

Josh P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The roofing material attenuates the signal by about 3-6 db in the best case. A wet roof will cause additional attenuation. Moving the antenna above the roof will improve signal strength quite a bit. However, with digital tv you have a picture or not. Back in the analog days it made a visible improvement (less snow).

An amplifier is only required for long feed lines where the attenuation in the feedline exceeds a given amount. I prefer losses less than 3 db, but I used to do TV and radio DXing. What really matters is the net signal strengh at the receiver after all losses. If you have strong signals at the antenna 6 db of loss isn't going to matter. If you are in an area with fringe reception you can use an amplifier at the antenna to compensate for the feedline loss, or use feedline with a lower loss. RG-6 has about 5-6 db of loss per 100 ft on the UHF channels. LMR400-75 has a loss of about 3 db per 100 feet, but is much more expensive and so are the connectors. This is assuming you have a quality run of coax. There's some real bad coax out there. You can buy good coax from the sites that sell to hams and two-way radio like Davisrf or therfconnnection. Just make sure it is 75 ohm.
Those figures are pretty accurate. Every 3.5 dB of attenuation is 50% less signal strength. I served 5 years for the cable company in Phoenix. If you need a cable with less attenuation, look at RG11.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A bleeding signal would be fine, if I had any signal to bleed :/

Josh P

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Free to air satellite has some good channels.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals