• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need your opinion on some rust repair

Pix3L8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ok guys quarantines got me going over my truck with a fine tooth comb trying to fix everything I can. I’ve had some rust in my back floor for a while but never did anything about it. I’ve got some rust cancer right in the back right corner of the cab (Bronco ii) right around the passenger side tail lamp. I’ve got a full welding setup so that’s not an issue, what I’m struggling with is going about this patch job. It’s right near my gas tank so before I spark up I need to drop the tank but the location is difficult to get a welding torch into. I thought possibly welding in some patches for structure and just fiber glassing the whole thing? Or if I want to weld the whole patch possibly undoing my body mounts and bringing the body up a few inches to get more clearance which is pretty involved but might be necessary to get solid welds. I’m replacing the whole carpet so I want to fix up my floor perfectly before I lay down new carpet. In the two pictures you can see the rust from the back corner and a shot from underneath. I’ve done a lot of sheet metal repairs on the truck but nothing in as tight a space as this.
just looking for suggestions

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you can do it, it fits, and you don't mind the look, you could just do a scab patch with metal sandwiching the bad section after it's been cleaned up. Clean the crap out of the surface and install the patch panel(s) with RTV and install whatever fasteners you choose to use wet to seal the fastener holes.

Pix3L8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
If you can do it, it fits, and you don't mind the look, you could just do a scab patch with metal sandwiching the bad section after it's been cleaned up. Clean the crap out of the surface and install the patch panel(s) with RTV and install whatever fasteners you choose to use wet to seal the fastener holes.
It’s not really a “structural” point in the body so it just needs to be closed not reinforced much.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yup, has Corrodedvirus, quarantine for six months.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals