• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Some Help ASAP with pinion shaft

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
I pulled an 8.8 from an explorer and was going to have the local community college put the 4.88's i bought for the axle in.

Well i got a call today from the teacher working on the 8.8 and he said the "pinion shaft" that came with the 4.88's is not thick enough. And the one that came in the 8.8 originally cant be put in because the teeth on the ring are in the way. The class is going to move on in two weeks is why i need help ASAP.

I am not familiar with working on rear ends so i was wondering what i could/should do.

Can i just order the larger pinion shaft or can i not order it individually from the ring and pinion.

Any suggestions are appreciated. And Thanks in advance! :icon_thumby:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
It sounds to me like you ordered a R&P kit for a 28 spline 8.8" axle, your explorer axle is a 31 spline 8.8" which has larger pinion and axle shafts compared to the 28 spline axle.

Also the old pinion CANNOT go in with the new 4.88 ring gear because the teeth won't mesh not because they are in the way. It sounds to me the teach doesn't know that much about gears and you should probably get someone else (professional) to install them.

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
i could be misinterpreting what he said as well. So i need the one for a 31 spline then. any suggestions on where to order from?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The offending tooth on the ring gear that's in the way need to be clearanced (ground down). This is a common practice and doesn't affect gear strength. As long as the original pinion shaft is in good shape there's no reason it can't be used.
Like this.

It sounds like the new pinion shaft is for a 28 spline axle or 86-older 31 spline axle (3/4"), all the newer 31 splines use a 7/8" pinion shaft.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
What Hahns said.
You don't want to use those "stepped" shafts anyway, they are weaker than a solid shaft.

I used a Dremel with a cutoff disc to grind the tips of 2 teeth very slightly on my 5.13 gears.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
And there is no difference between gear sets for 31 spline vs 28 spline.....an 8.8 is an 8.8.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
^ this. Gearset will be same regardless of spline count. 8.8 is an 8.8 is an 8.8.

It takes very little grinding to get the cross pin to slide in. Do not use a notched cross pin.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Nobody's talking about the gears being different, just the cross-pin (3/4" vs 7/8"), although I wasn't aware that any gear sets that came with cross-pins.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I pulled an 8.8 from an explorer and was going to have the local community college put the 4.88's i bought for the axle in.

Well i got a call today from the teacher working on the 8.8 and he said the "pinion shaft" that came with the 4.88's is not thick enough. And the one that came in the 8.8 originally cant be put in because the teeth on the ring are in the way. The class is going to move on in two weeks is why i need help ASAP.

I am not familiar with working on rear ends so i was wondering what i could/should do.

Can i just order the larger pinion shaft or can i not order it individually from the ring and pinion.

Any suggestions are appreciated. And Thanks in advance! :icon_thumby:
if you're using the same carrier you should be able to use the original cross pin, with a little grinding like others said

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
So there should be no difference between a 28 and 31 in regards to the pinion shaft diameter? So what i have gathered (correct me if im wrong) simply grind down two of the teeth and use the original pinion shaft.

thanks for the help!

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
There is no difference with the r&p gears. There is a difference in the cross pin size, 3/4 vs. 7/8 iirc. Don't mess with the aftermarket type, just use the factory one as mentioned earlier by grinding one of the teeth for clearance.

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
well i got it all sorted out and its all good so thanks everyone that gave me some info thats why these sites are so great saved me $177!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Glad you got it together. Good luck on it :icon_thumby:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Nobody's talking about the gears being different, just the cross-pin (3/4" vs 7/8"), although I wasn't aware that any gear sets that came with cross-pins.
Like the issue is that the new lower ratio, higher numerically gear set haa thicker ring gear.

USUALLY you can coax the spider gear crossshaft (aka differential pinion shaft) in even against ring gear interference by light grinding if the inboard tips of two of the ring gear teeth.

It USUALLY helps to "clock" the ring gear onto the carrier so that the crossshaft bore in the differential carrier alings closely with one of those gaps between the teeth.

the grinding you need to do can be done with a dremel tool and is completely outside the tooth contact patch.

My experience with this is all on the 7.5" axle where 3.73 and 4.10 axles came from the factory with a notched crosspin because instead of using a "Carrier break" for different gear they simply made the ring gears thicker

BTW, you can notch a crosspin differently from the way the factory "flat end" shafts are notched.

If you cut a shallow curve in the middle of the shaft 90degrees rotated from the "nor,mal orientation of the shaft you can create a completely captive crosspin, that instead of being slid partway out to allow acle shaft c-clip removal you ROTATE the cross shaft 90degrees to accomplish the same effect....

Reider Racing used to sell a 7.5" crosspin made this way, but it's easier to just "clock" the ring gear onto the carrier and do a bit of relief grinding on two adjecent ring gear teeth.

as a note if you align the teeth this way it's usually beas to align the notch to the hole on the retaining bolt end of the crossshaft, because when you align the gap the shaft will be solidly blocked by a tooth on the other side of the carrier...

AD

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals