• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need schooled on da “Flareside” rangers yo!

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The guy that I sold the Ranger to removed the hood scoop and window louvers, Lower the truck and installed nice new tires and wheels. He gave the truck to his son.

Attachments

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
The guy that I sold the Ranger to removed the hood scoop and window louvers, Lower the truck and installed nice new tires and wheels. He gave the truck to his son.
It still looks good but I like your mods better

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
One of you guys that are going to do all that work to your truck bed, have a flare side bed without the fiberglass sides you want to get rid of? I was going to pull my bed off to replace the rubber fuel line that goes from the fender to the tank, and I noticed my bed is really rusty. Most junkyards only want to sell the bed with the sides on.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
One of you guys that are going to do all that work to your truck bed, have a flare side bed without the fiberglass sides you want to get rid of? I was going to pull my bed off to replace the rubber fuel line that goes from the fender to the tank, and I noticed my bed is really rusty. Most junkyards only want to sell the bed with the sides on.
There are repair panels for the Ranger bed.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
My sons took my bed off yesterday and I got the filler hose replaced. That was actually the easy part. My bed bolts were rusted and most of them broke. With the bed off I could see that the bed is mostly rust, the front passenger side was held together by the spray in bed liner, the bolt in that area stayed on the frame when the bed was lifted off the frame, a piece of the bed was attached with the bolt, 3" by 18". I need a replacement bed, I can put the fiberglass fenders on it so color isn't very important.
Lefty, where can you get those repair panels?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Marketplace has a few flareside beds for sale in texas

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
My sons took my bed off yesterday and I got the filler hose replaced. That was actually the easy part. My bed bolts were rusted and most of them broke. With the bed off I could see that the bed is mostly rust, the front passenger side was held together by the spray in bed liner, the bolt in that area stayed on the frame when the bed was lifted off the frame, a piece of the bed was attached with the bolt, 3" by 18". I need a replacement bed, I can put the fiberglass fenders on it so color isn't very important.
Lefty, where can you get those repair panels?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Whatever you do paint it...and not with something cheap like Rustoleum. Try Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood and an 2k epoxy paint for a nice durable finish.

I took my bed off. Sand blasted everything but not too much, then painted POR 15, then 2k primer, then 2k clear.. It's been 2 winters now. The bottom side still looks new,

Attachments

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Superj, will you deliver if I get one of those from Texas? I live in the north end of Illinois :)
Lefty, yours looks good especially for Minnesota. That's the drawback with these steel beds covered with fiberglass, they look good on the outside and rusting away underneath. I was just looking for that funnel shaped thing that guides the special tool in the lift for the spare tire, obviously I don't know the correct name for those parts so couldn't find anything. I guess I'll keep looking for a bed, maybe I'll get lucky and find a clean one.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know what they call that thing either.

There were two holes in my bed, but the rest was not that bad. That's why I went with the wood.

Perhaps you need not take your entire bed apart. Maybe you can just lay the repair panel on top of the old bed and bolt it down. Or else just find a decent junk yard bed somewhere.

Is your frame okay?

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I found a bed on marketplace that was noy too far away. It looked like it was in pretty good shape, but the guy had a buyer that was going to pick it up last Thursday and I couldn't make arrangements to get it that soon. On Tuesday I got a picture from my son of what looked like the bed in the back of a pickup. I asked what it was, and he said they had picked up that bed and were on the way back home. They have since removed the fiberglass fenders and it's not in as good of shape as I thought but still better than mine. Plus, it came with some new spare mechanical parts like a new fuel pump, master cylinder, several suspension parts and Weather Teck liners for the front. They are going to do some repairs to the bed and then we are going to clean it up and seal it like you did. Yes, the frame is in pretty good shape, I'm not sure why the bed is so bad unless the moister got under the spray in liner and caused the damage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals