• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need new exhaust

Isaac0000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK, need new exhaust. Would it be better to get all new exhaust or just replace it after the cats? I also want to put a one-chamber on it. Thanks:beer:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
unless the cats are physically damaged or plugged (unlikely), a cat-back would be most cost effective.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
yea and dont go with magnaflow they are good quality but they sound like a fart cannon on v6's i got rid of my muffler and hooked a flowmaster onto the custom built magnaflow pipes and the sound is unbelieveably good, as soon as i get a day off i will post a vid somewhere on here of the exhaust

Isaac0000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
exhaust cont....

Ok thanks. Um, a while back i tried to order a one-chamber flowmaster, but the place i was trying to order it thru told me that flowmaster sold the rights and that they didnt have one for my truck. So its not called flowmaster anymore. :icon_confused: I would think that i could still find one for my truck though. any help or links to order would be good. Thanks.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
whoever told you that must have eaten a few too many lead-based paint chips as a kid.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

thats their website. they have a dealer locator on their site. most auto parts stores can order them. you dont need a ranger specific one...a muffler is a muffler. your factory pipe size is 2", so you'll need a 2" inlet.

you can buy a complete system, but its a waste of money IMO. if you need a new tailpipe, have a local exhuast shop bend one up for you.

Isaac0000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!

Thank you.:beer:

Isaac0000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bigger??

would it be worth my $$$ to get a larger diameter piping from the cats back? I did not find a one chamber exhaust. I guess i will have to look for a two chamber. Maybe 2.25"

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it wont make any difference in power. just keep it under 2.5" or else you might start to loose bottom end power.

Isaac0000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oops

disregard last post... did not see post above mine

Isaac0000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Two Cats or one?

On my stock exhaust i have two cats but figured when i get new exhaust put on after the cats, i figured i only need one. I dont have to worry about state inspections. If i get one of them removed will my engine light come on because one cat is removed???

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
doubtful. but its against federal law (as in, it doesnt matter what your state law is, its illegal everywhere within the united states borders) to tamper with emissions equipment. and nothing good will come from it (no mileage, no power). id just leave it be, it isnt hurting anything.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
after your cats there a bolted "joint" were cat backs start. and when you buy the kit that "joint" is were the system starts. if you can still use that joint. and your at all handy its cheaper to just build one. and have it go were you want it to, look a the exhaust section. theres alot of talk on just this.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
FWIW, I looked at getting a cat-back kit for my Ranger when the joint fell apart on my exhaust right after the cat. After pricing out kits through several sources, I decided I wasn't sure I wanted to go that route.

After talking with the local exhaust shop, I found I could get 2.5" stainless bent up and order a 40 series Flowmaster (I have one on my choptop and it sounds pretty decent) for considerably less than I could buy a cat-back kit from anywhere. I was just going to buy the pipe through the shop and have them bend it up, then order a muffler with 2.5" openings on each end in the right configuration via Summit Racing and put it all together myself to save a few pennies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals