• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need air intake hose...or make one???

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The air intake hose, the big sucka, that runs from the air box to my intake manifold on my 93 Ranger XLT with 3.0 V6 is shot in the accordion folds of the tube right behind the intake manifold clamp...worn completely through underneath. Found this today while checking vac lines for a leak. Fixed it with duct tape...for now. So, does anyone have one of these laying around they could part with? It only has one branch hose that attaches just in front of the air box. I've checked all the yards around here and no dice. And...has anyone made their own replacement air intake hose? If so, what did you use and tips, tricks? Fabbing up a ram-air intake is not the goal here...been there, done that, wasted the bux...just looking for a good, cheap, practical farm-boy fix till I can find one used somewhere.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is the 4.0 intake bigger than the 2.9? I swore I've seen some use that. I like the 2.9 type myself. Go to a hose store and find something with the same inner diamater? PVC? I myself would jb weld it till i got a good fix.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Truck runs so much smoother with the hose taped over. Added some genuine HVAC reflective duct tape today. Still open to ideas though.

gatordog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I made a cool air intake for my 7.3 idi diesel and a trip to Home Depot or Lowes is all you need. Go to the plumbing section and for soft connections use black sewer connections. I used 4 in exhaust pipe for the long straight run on my 7.3, but you can use either PVC pipe or whatever you can find. Stay away from the flex hose for the drier, I tried that stuff and it never worked. It kept going apart and it will cut you, also you cannot clamp to it.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Get a rubber sleeve to slip over the hole and clamp it down.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Sounds like an appropriately sized inner tube would be just the thing here. Of course that assumes the tube is the hard plastic variety

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah...it's the hard plastic plenum/hose, but it's not 100% round...goes to oval and then wide and flat and back to round (both ends). The round ends have the accordion folds, and the holes are in the accordion folds. Thought about inner tubes and baling wire, but what's there is too fragile from the holes to stand up to a wire clamp...plus the rubber would burn and smell tasty at a stop sign. Problem with fabbing a replacement is accommodating the MAF sensor near the airbox. Engineering ain't my gig unless the fix is baling wire and duct tape...just not a vision guy.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
What do you mean the problem with making something is at the MAF? As in the MAF bolts to that tube? I wonder if it'd be possible to make something from the rubber hose on an early 90's F-150. Of course it was a double hose. That sounds very like the 4.0 setup.

If you can't find anything else, look into Sceptre products at the local parts supplier. They have adapters, tubes straight and curved, and couplers.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, on the other end the MAF is built into that air intake hose...right out of the airbox. The whole point is a cheap fix, not a garbage ram-air, cold-air/hot air intake...the truck is 20+ years old and just a daily driver. I passed the super-mods stage of life more than 40 years ago...just wanta make it right/work again.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
While I was waiting for the "super mod" stage of my life to meet up with the "actually making money" phase of my life I just kept replacing the duct tape on my 2.8's intake hose/pipe.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've got a complete intake hose/box from a 92 3.0 sitting in the back of my other truck but can't measure it because it is about 30 km away...I'd suggest going to a junk yard to find one that is the same...if possible...

I usually find parts like that in the trunk/bed or back seat of most jy vehicles because they are in the way of stripping parts off a motor...

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well the yards around here are all picked over...nothing that old to choose from. Hence this thread....

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ahhhhhhh...soooooo...

I could ship you the one I have...if you don't come up with something...

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Another rangerstationer, mtnrgr, has offered a spare that he has laying around...waiting for him to get a shipping quote. If that doesn't work out I'll let you know.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Certainly...it would probably cost more to ship from Canada...but if you have a pic of your old one...not sure if they are the same but 92 was, IIRC, kinda S shaped...from the TB to the air box...but not sure...a pic would help confirm that if possible...and if needed...nothing like getting something and finding out it's wrong...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals