• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nearly 3 feet long and weighing 20+ lbs..

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Not talking about newborn Andre the giant.. no.

Talking about the new truck that followed me home 🤠🤠

Axial scx6 trail honcho... behold..

20240227_150409.jpg
20240227_150421.jpg

3 link front, 4 link rear.. BEEFY 10mm suspension links.. it's motor is the same diameter as one of those 8oz mini cans of coke and just about as tall.. selectable 2 speed tranny.. working lights all over the place..

It's pretty much everything I dreamed of it being. Been wanting one since they first got announced a few years ago but could never justify the cost of entry 😣 (a hair over 1100$ with tax)

Worth every penny. The size and weight of this thing compared to a common 1/10 scale crawler really helps add to the whole 'scale' feel. It moves around on its suspension and over obstacles a lot closer to how a full size rig does... it's awesome.

Low gear is absolutely a crawler gear.. wide open on a 3s lipo is well under a walking pace. The sensored brushless motor has all the low throttle finesse & controlability you'd want to have while actually crawling too.. tons of torque.

In high gear & wide open it's probably.. 60-70% as fast as my dog (who amusingly thinks it's his friend.. and loves getting chased around by it)

Super capable right out of the box.. 7+ inches of rear articulation and mabey a hair under 7" in the front.. 7.2" tires.. plug it in and kick some ass.

My only 'complaints' about it would be that the foams in the tires are probably a little too soft.. how soft they are is nice while in low gear & crawling.. but if you shift to high and try to take a corner somewhat briskly.. the weight of the rig causes the outside tires to roll underneath themselves.. ending the truck up on its side.

The 2nd.. and bigger complaint.. is that the steering servo is just barely adequate. It's strong enough for a trail truck.. but it definitely doesn't like super techy rockpile stuff that puts a lot of lateral pressure on the front tires. Last time I knew.. the cheapest worthwhile upgrade for the steering servo was 250-300$.. so hopefully this one doesn't crap out on me soon lol.

20240224_140720.jpg

(My clownstomper size 14 boot for some reference)

I've run 2 charges through it now, mostly high gear and chasing the dog around.. seem to get about 30-40 minutes out of a single 5200mah 3s. I'm sure runtime would be stretched to 45-50 minutes if I were to take it on a hike and not run it at constant WOT.. well see. I'm not taking it on a hike until I get another battery for it though lol.. thing is entirely too heavy to have to carry it a few miles out of the woods.

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
If I had your skills and tools, I would build a lifesize version.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Neat!

I have had a lot of fun with my SCX10, aside from the body it is pretty much stock though.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Always wanted some RC toys but haven’t been able to justify the cost yet

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm right there with you.

For $1100... I'm gonna have to test it first.

However... I have a grandson now. I can see myself spending a few dollars on something like that to have some fun with him.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@Blmpkn That's a cool lil' rig. To you tire situation - May or may not be helpful, but I saw ( on TikTok, of course )some of the guys are putting BB's in their tires to add weight lower down, to keep from rolling over.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I'm right there with you.

For $1100... I'm gonna have to test it first.

However... I have a grandson now. I can see myself spending a few dollars on something like that to have some fun with him.

There are all sorts of much cheaper options to be had out there for those who just want to 'dip a toe'. These cheaper options aren't CRAP either.. they're all hobby grade, quality, upgradable models. They might be a smaller scale.. but a 1/24 truck can absolutely be just as much fun as a 1/6 scale rig..

R51_0283_xigfxf_950.jpg

I apologize for the jeeps.. it's just the best comparison I could find lol..

The gray jeep is the same exact truck I have.. just a different body. 1/6 scale.

The red one in the middle is an scx10 like Justin posted. 1/10 scale. Regular price on a truck this size would generally be 4-600$.. but there are always sales. I won my scx10 (new) in an ebay auction for 280$ iirc.

The little yellow one on top is an scx24. 1/24 scale. 110-150$ depending on what body you want it to come with. 24th scale probably has the biggest selection of upgrade parts, different bodies, and scale accessories too which is cool.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER THOUGH....

...is that regardless of scale... you can buy an actual, functioning, licensed by Warn WINCH for the front bumper of your little truck 😆. Gone are the days of having to pick up your rc truck If it gets stuck in/on something.. just walk over to it and run that winch out to whatever it'll reach 😋 not even kidding. This scale realism thing is getting out of hand lol.

AXI03014B_A00_66VJBCQN.jpg

Axial is actually having a sale on their newest generation 10th scale truck on their website right now.. early Bronco can be had for a cool 299$ regularly 500$.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
@Blmpkn That's a cool lil' rig. To you tire situation - May or may not be helpful, but I saw ( on TikTok, of course )some of the guys are putting BB's in their tires to add weight lower down, to keep from rolling over.
Yeah thats a pretty solid technique actually.. I *think* I still have a bunch of BBs kicking around somewhere.. I may end up trying that.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Yeah thats a pretty solid technique actually.. I *think* I still have a bunch of BBs kicking around somewhere.. I may end up trying that.
It was funny. The guy builds XJ models for clients who want a 1/24 scale version of their Cherokee. He just got into converting them to RC chassis. After he loaded his tires, he said " for $8 I fixed my tires and can shoot a bunch of squirrels"
Edit : scale.cherokee.rc is his name and he's running a SC24 chassis with the BBs in the tires.

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe we should BB's in our tires too.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Maybe we should BB's in our tires too.
If youretalking about full-size trucks, it's commonly done for balancing. Not so common for adding weight.

Google balancing beads.

maddyn

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/91
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Balance beads work great. On my old 92 with 35's I only ran balance beads and it drove great. Pay the money for the heavier ceramic ones

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
If youretalking about full-size trucks, it's commonly done for balancing. Not so common for adding weight.

Google balancing beads.
I'm talking. It's cold outside and I'm very bored.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals