• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My Sound System

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Just upgraded my sound system in my truck. I have a Sony head-unit and 4 Kicker 6X8's. No subs i don't really need the for what i listen to (mostly country and rock/metal). I love it it can get very loud but keeps great clarity and i would totally recommend this set up to anyone.:icon_thumby:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Funny...but, my 99 Ranger that I bought new has the stock radio/cd player and 4 speakers and they are surround sound. Every time somebody I don't know hears my cd player turned on they think I have upgraded the system. 'Oh, you put in a real nice sounding system, Dude'. But I tell them that it is the way it came in 99 and they won't believe me until they look at the radio. It just has some power and it is so clear and lound when I crank it up with no distortion. Maybe I got lucky with my Ranger and I just got a nice sounding unit...so I don't need no stinking system upgrade...lol

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Funny...but, my 99 Ranger that I bought new has the stock radio/cd player and 4 speakers and they are surround sound. Every time somebody I don't know hears my cd player turned on they think I have upgraded the system. 'Oh, you put in a real nice sounding system, Dude'. But I tell them that it is the way it came in 99 and they won't believe me until they look at the radio. It just has some power and it is so clear and lound when I crank it up with no distortion. Maybe I got lucky with my Ranger and I just got a nice sounding unit...so I don't need no stinking system upgrade...lol
i only wanted more highs and i LOVE bass. so i added a clarion aluminum sub and some pioneer mids and highs combo.

98greenrangerguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I replace my stock AM/FM/Tape player about 12 years ago with a Pioneer CD player. It still sounds great with the stock speakers. The original unit is still in my closet at home.

Straycat, did you have some kind of premium sound package like the Tremor Rangers have?

schaffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can say that my 98 sounds pretty good,had the facotry cd player in it,and replaced it with a JVC headunit for the added use of the AUX port.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my junkyard tape deck out a rolled f-150 sounded better than the aftermarket radio than came with my truck, i think i got lucky too, auto reverse works too!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger had the factory surround sound speakers (two door speakers and two rear speakers in the extended cab). Sounded pretty good stock, but then I rigged up a pair of 12" subs and a 200w x1 channel rms amp (400w peak) to work off of my stock head unit. Made a lot of people scratch their heads over that one because it sounded so great (my one buddy had a totally aftermarket stereo in his car - Alpine 12" subs, Bazooka 400w rms amp, Sony Xplod speakers and head unit - mine was louder and clearer).

Later I did change to a high-end Pioneer HU, 915w x2 RMS amp (Rockford Fosgate FTW!), and a pair of 12" RF subs, but I kept the stock speakers. Sounded great and was LOUD. I kinda miss it even though I didn't crank it much, the extra bass was nice.

My F-150 has a middle of the road Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate speakers front and rear. Sounds pretty good but no subs because I can't sacrifice the space behind my front seats. Still, that's a pretty decent stereo for a work truck.

BTW, IMHO Sony speakers, amps, subs and HUs are J-U-N-K. Seen waaaayyy too many of them "xplode" for no reason. Also saw one of their amps die and start leaking green goo. Now I'm not an electrical engineer, but I do know a bit about electronics... and I still don't know of any electronics that should be leaking green goo.

Last edited:

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my step mom stuck one those sony head units in her f150, then i got possesion of the truck for a year were it sat because i didn't have a use for it, constant battery problems and it was driving me nuts as the truck would go dead after a week... turned out the H/U +batt was draining it dead, it was wired correctly, it used an adapter harness.. she gave me the factory H/U and problem solved, just no working CD player, i could live with that..

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some stock systems sound really good. Not a Ranger, but my Grand Am has the premium sound package where the rear 6x9s are run by a factory amp for added low end bass. Sounds pretty frickin good for 6x9s only, let alone stock. lol Idk about ranger tho, my old truck apearantly had the premium package with the rear boxes, but it was old and worn out :p

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
I am running a JVC r-810 Clarion 4" speakers in dash, and 2 Mach speakers from a Exploder. Good bass and highs. Replaced a Dual hd h/u, VR3 4" dash speakers and 6.5" VR3s sitting on the jumpseats. Blew out the VR3 speakers a year ago at a sound competition at UTI. Still sounded decent when low. For $20 a set, I'd but them for an upgrade (slight one) over stock.

Future plans after my cab swap include 6x8 JVC speakers, 4" JVC for the dash and Mach tweeters someplace else in there.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
pretty sure theres a dedicated section for sound systems haha

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Looking to replace my speakers any recommendations that won't break the bank? Preferably 6x8 and under 50 a pair.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
memphis PR stuff.. i've had it for 4 years or so... and i can't beat them. i'm pushing them w/ 525 watts max, 300 rms... was pushing them w/ a 800 max, 450 rms.

these are the updated versions of mine
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEMPHIS-POWER-REFERENCE-5X7-SPEAKERS-15-PR572-/330607739559?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo=SIC.NPJS&its=I&itu=UA&otn=5&pmod=360374197736&ps=63&clkid=3971509764221349889#ht_500wt_1202

i'm thinking i'll upgrade to M class stuff tho. these are the ones i want...
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/speakers/mclass-coaxial-speakers/
or the components actually
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/speakers/mclass-component-speakers/
but they will cost a lot more!!
kicker makes some nice stuff to. just remember you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
My speakers set me back 100 a pair but there totally worth it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
and personally i'd buy memphis mids/highs before kicker stuff... i'd buy memphis anything first... but.... the subs i have i got a really good deal on.

and me being just south of memphis.. its easy to get stuff!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals