• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my damn pvc valve

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
ive been having a oil leak in my motor on the back side of the valve cover which looks to be the pvc valve. i was wondering if i have to remove the valve cover to remove the pvc. and if so, how hard is it to replace the pvc valve?

btw, i was hoping this could be the reason why my truck has a great loss of power when i take off and my reason for bad gas milage.

the most work ive done on an engine is remove the intake, but ive regeared the rearend, r/r a slave cylinder. so as you can see, im not a complete jackass.

hope someone could give me some advise.

Thanks

its a V6 SOHC!

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well not sure on the SOHC engine, but on the OHV the PCV valve takes about 30 seconds to replace. Either way it should just be able to be pulled right from the valve cover (which does not need to be removed) PCV valves are really cheap and is one of those things that I think is recommended being changed once a year.

FYI its a PCV valve not the PVC. I was like that doesnt sound right. Autozone lists is for $3.40

Last edited:

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
thanks 97ranger4x4!

if anyone has some input of any differences for a sohc as to the ohv, please reply!

will this cure my loss of power as well?

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That I cant answer, do you have a check engine light on? Also where is the power lacking. Low End, Middle, or High RPMS? Or just does it feel like its lugging around the whole time.

How many miles and what condition is the engine in?

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ive been having a oil leak in my motor on the back side of the valve cover which looks to be the pvc valve. i was wondering if i have to remove the valve cover to remove the pvc. and if so, how hard is it to replace the pvc valve?
The newer PCV valves are much harder to swap because EPA mandated either an OBDII flow sensor or a "positive-retention" mount. Most manufacturers opted for the mount because it is less expensive to implement and that's what your 2002 Ranger has.

The valve has a 1/3 turn, screw-in thread with snap clips that can be stubborn. To make things even more interesting, there is also a "horseshoe" coolant heater snapped around the outside of the PCV to prevent freezing. What was once a 30 second job has grown to 10 minutes or more.

More complication also means more expense. Plan on spending about $20.

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
thanks rwenzing! i just picked up the pcv valve but the horeshoe heater thing i did not!

97 ranger 4x4, the "boging" is mostly on the lowend when i take off. when i hit the gas, it does not sputter but hesitates for maybe 1-2 seconds! if my predition is correct, the reason it hesitates is due to a dirty throttle body from all the oil an gun from the broken pcv valve. i think the oil leak is from the pcv valve and not the valve cover gasket.

someone tell me if im wrong?

Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals