• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My backyard build (56K warning)

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sweet looking ride... Helluva job!

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did the bigger drums from the f150 just bolt in to place?

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
did the bigger drums from the f150 just bolt in to place?
Haha yes they just bolt into place once you remove the axle shafts from an f-150 have them shortened and re-splined and install them into an explorer rear axle.

But if the question is do the backing plates bolt onto the axle, the answer is yes they are a direct bolt on. The tuff part is the axle shafts. You can have them custom made cheaper from Moser with a lifetime warrenty. The problem i had with that was a crap load of measurements that i would have to take off both axles. What i did was took 4 shafts to True Gear in cambridge and told them i need the long ones the smae size as the short ones.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Got my diff cover from ballistic finally. A little complication with shipping and took alot longer than i would have liked. But I got it. As soon as i got it in the mail, I took it to Metal Works in Caledonia and had them powdercoat it for it. cost $25 to get that done. Seemed good enough to me. They put the coat on THICK! they almost made the weld ribs disappear.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what a build!! now just get that truck all one color!

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Damn. Sweet ass truck man

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
what a build!! now just get that truck all one color!
As soon as i can afford a paint job it will be 1 colour.

AS a side note, last night I put the new licence plates on it, and the insurance card in the glove box. It is now legal for me to drive it. Took it for a good long drive last night, found a few issues that need to be sorted out, but nothing too major. Still needs the throttle valve cable adjusted. Im not really liking the choice to use an automatic. Standard would be the way to go if i were to do this all over again. Or maybe next time, dont work in a messy ass shop and loose everything. So i would have had the origonal t.v cable and all the linkages.

Last edited:

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haha yes they just bolt into place once you remove the axle shafts from an f-150 have them shortened and re-splined and install them into an explorer rear axle.

But if the question is do the backing plates bolt onto the axle, the answer is yes they are a direct bolt on. The tuff part is the axle shafts. You can have them custom made cheaper from Moser with a lifetime warrenty. The problem i had with that was a crap load of measurements that i would have to take off both axles. What i did was took 4 shafts to True Gear in cambridge and told them i need the long ones the smae size as the short ones.
couldnt you have had the explorer axles re drilled for 5*5?

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
couldnt you have had the explorer axles re drilled for 5*5?
Yes I could have, but that would be getting very close to the edge of the flange(whatever you want to call it). Plus it wouldn't look very good. I like that the rear axle looks like nothings been done to it, well besides the perches, but its not that noticeable.

On another note, i finally got my exhaust hitting straightened out. Got the exhaust shop to tuck it up as much as possible with a slightly smaller pipe, then i drove it, let the axle put a bit of a dent in it for more clearance. Then i ordered 4 10.5 inch prothane coil insert bump stops. They come in a set of 2(2x2=4 stops). I cut one of them in half and put 1 and a half in each coil. no more hitting.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just have the ehole truck line-x'd!

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My dad just painted his 79 dodge with 10 coats of rustoleum/mineral spirits mix. Its all in the sanding. You can paint your truck for less than 150 dollars.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
MUD TIME!!!
got out today with it! broke the clamps for the front driveshaft u-joint. And a $100 000 f250 got stuck tryig to unstick me. :D

Finally got to take it out and put it to the test! After this run, going to try and find a cheap way to get a torsen locker for the rear, something for the front, change the gears to low to mid 4s (somewhere around a 4.27). And keep pushing my dads friend to sell me his winch. Great time had by all!

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bad ass build!

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
K front driveshaft all fixed up. Tore the U-bolts apart tossed the caps off the u-joint and ripped the corner off the yoke. I welded the yoke back together, then drilled the hole out to being round again.

Got my mirror gasket in the mail from 7.5L_STX. Finally got the drivers mirror on. But I am really not impressed with it! shitty aftermarket mirror wont sit properly, or stay in place. Its harder to move than the origonal, but it wont stay. It wants to wander to see the road.

I also got around to adding the auto dimming rear view from the 94 explorer i scrapped a while ago. That is a GREAT feature! Super simple to wire up Its got 2 powers 1 ground to get the auto dimmer to work. Then 2 relays for the auto headlights if you want that part to work too. One power is the feed for the headlight switch[large brown wire], the other is accessible from the buzzer(this was removed and smashed years ago!) plug[Red with yellow tracer], and theres a ground in the drivers kick panel. See... easy!

Next is the over head console mount, and hide the harness for both. Slowly starting to look decent on the inside. Also starting to price out body work and paint.

Might take some pictures of the over head and rear view when I'm done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals