• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My '97 SAS...

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So after having a Sky Jacker 4" lift kit on the truck for the last two years, I'm really not all that impressed with it. The ride quality hasn't been all that great, and the shocks have already started leaking (one of the rears started leaking quite a while ago actually), and keeping an alignment hasn't been all that easy (it keeps wanting to pull to the right). So I'm going to take the plunge to do a SAS using a high pinion D44 from a '79 Bronco, and to support it I'll also build up an Explorer 31 spline axle for the rear. Ask any questions you feel...

Got myself a D44 back in the late winter/early spring:

tore it apart and found that it had been abused pretty badly....the guy that had it before never changed a seal or diff oil:

Fast forward to the last week or so, and I tried to clean and sand blast the diff but there was way too much heavy grease on it, and a black scale inside it:

Also got myself a diff from a '97 Explorer, so it's a little wider to better match the D44, has 31 spline axles, and is also going to get cleaned up:

Both diffs going to be hot tanked...it's hard to find any shops that actually have hot tanks anymore:

D44 back from being hot tanked, sand blasted it a bit to remove some surface rust, primed....also has a brand new Solid Axle Industries nodular iron cover on it (just to see how it looked LOL):

The 8.8 also back, sandblasted, and primed. Also with a Solid Axle Industries cover on it:

Starting to get all the parts that I'm going to need...got some 1 ton chev tie rod ends, new ball joints, bearings, seals, etc:

I'm going to need to flip the 8.8 for spring over axle, so I've also picked up new shock and spring mounts:

I found a guy selling a set of Cage radius arms out of BC...lets just say it was a whole lot cheaper than buying them locally!

Massive rod ends for the Cage radius arms...these things are big. However, I am a little worried about the durability of these in a daily driver...

New rims...15"x10", 5 on 5.5", and about 3.75" backspacing....

I'm going to set up the axles, get all the parts I can possibly amass, and then work on a marathon build to get them installed when they're ready. First on the list is to get the D44 shortened 6" on the pass side to become an early bronco width. This way it will fit under the Ranger a little easier and without custom flares being needed...that and I don't want to run full width axles. The rear Explorer 8.8 was chosen for the beefier 31 spline axles, bigger bearings, and it's a little wider so when I put the wheel adapters on it, it will become the same width as the built D44 front.

Lockers are on the way, with an Eaton E-Locker for the front and an Auburn ECTED for the rear. Being a daily driver the ECTED will give me a limited slip, and a locker when I feel like playing. 4340 Chromoly shafts are on the list to order as I need new ones anyhow with the D44 being shortened. As for actual lift height...I'm hoping for only about 5" over stock, but will probably be about 6" when all is said and done. The front D44 will actually be pushed about an inch forward from stock to allow the tire to be centered in the wheel opening, and thus I shouldn't have to trim any body this way.

I'll keep updating as I can and as I am able to get stuff done. I hope to get this thing out wheeling as soon as I can now that I'm taking the plunge!

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
sweet build so far. keep up the progress!!!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The wheel adapters will make the rear 8.8" wider then the Early bronco width you want to cut the diff down to. To make it slightly wider in front (better tracking in turns) cut the front to wagoneer width (between fullsize and EB) or go with rear axleshafts instead of adapters.

I'd like to get a set of chromoly shafts in mine to hold up to the abuse of future 6.0L power and the 37's, so if you want my adapters (built by Trevor) lemme know.

Last edited:

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you talking about the super 8.8 kit from Superior? I thought that using an explorer 8.8 with a set of Trev's wheel adapters would be on par with that of an EB axle. I've already got a set of Trev's adapters too, just need to get him to machine them to fit over the 31 spline axles.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Nope, an EB width diff is the same as an explorer 8.8", so the 1 1/8" adapters make the rear that much wider. Mine are already bored out, and they work great.

As far as shafts I don't need the Super 88 kit, just chromoly with the 5.5" pattern, but getting rid of the C clips would be a bonus.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just go with replacement rear shafts, their chromolys too so its a stronger shaft. a dutchman axleshaft set sells for $225, and I think strange sells sets for around $300.

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hmm...gonna have to look at a few options. I guess I'd better get the brakes drilled out to 5 on 5.5" and figure out what I'm going to do. Thanks for the heads up on that...

Front D44 E-Locker is in. I'm just waiting on a buddy to give me a hand with cutting down the axle, then I can start getting all the gears and knuckles setup.

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm...gonna have to look at a few options. I guess I'd better get the brakes drilled out to 5 on 5.5" and figure out what I'm going to do. Thanks for the heads up on that...
for brakes, you could run the drum setup from a full width 8.8 if you have drums or the explorer disc setup and either get rotors pre drilled for a 5 on 5.5 from currie ent. or just drill them yourself with a jig like so:
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=368044&postcount=282

either way brakes shouldn't be too hard or too expensive to setup.

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So....with work keeping me away from the garage for way too long, and now that the weather is cold (it was actually really nice today being about 1*C), I haven't had a chance to work on the axles much. However...I'm hoping to change this...

I picked up a brand spankin' new Millermatic 211 MIG welder today so that I'm not relying on friends opening up their shops for me (although I'm still working on a way to sneak the plasma cutter away from him).

I got both lockers now, and since I've also got all the needed shims to set everything up, it shouldn't be long before I get the explorer axle setup and ready to drop in. I still need to shorten the front axle down, and I will be going with the EB width as I've got a set of 4340 Chromoly axle shafts on the way (for cheap :blush:).

Got tires on the way as well, as soon as they show up to the dealer anyhow. Mickey Thompson MTZ 35x12.5x15's x5 in case I need the spare.

When I'm all done with the truck project (yeah right!!) I'd like to setup a trailer to haul some camping stuff around. I kinda like the old M416 trailers, and after reading some reviews and seeing how people have done some up...I think it would work for what I'm looking for eventually.

If it's quiet around here for the holidays, I should be able to get some work done and catch up on what I've been putting off...keep you guys updated.

ranger92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
looking like its going to be a sick build, one day hopefully ill do an sas project so i'll be following this build for sure. any pics of the truck as it is now?

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here is a pic from one of the boxing day runs I did. The front bumper has changed a bit (mostly gotten rusty). I'm hoping that now I've added the welder to the garage, that I can get it finished soon.

And a pic from this summer as I was finishing up installing new rear spring hangers and shackles after I ripped a stock shackle apart on a logging road in BC:

Last edited:

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I took both diff's out to a good friend's shop (in Standard) to have him help me out by setting the pinion angle on the 8.8 rear, and cutting down the front D44. We only really had time to weld up the rear and the front will be done early in the new year. We welded the tubes to the center section to help with the overall strength of the 8.8 and got the new spring perches all setup and welded on. The old sway bar brackets came off, and the old spring perches will be cut off this week when I'm feeling more up to it.

The diff being welded up with the new perches:

Wish I could take credit for these welds...mine aren't that pretty yet:

And the UPS guy just came by....Delivering brand spankin' new 4340 Chromoly shafts for the D44 (EB width) and a set of shiny brake dust shields:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Hope the ECTED works out for you...they aren't known for their durability. It is not a true locker as they advertise is and they are known to slip under load. I have also heard they are not rebuild able.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Either way, definitely keeping my eye on the build! Looking good so far, and you're really motoring along!

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice build so far! I'm subscribing to see what all the UPS guy brings next and How this project comes out!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals