• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 97 F150 page

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
The wrecking yard shows three 97 Expeditions. I'll have to go look tomorrow.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Well, I haven't made it down to the wrecking yard yet because it's only a bit more for a new grille. Although it will be a Chinese made POS, which I was not so happy with the replacement on my Ranger. Anyway, I was piddlin' around in the shed today and saw the headlight restore kit I bought for my Mustang tail lights.

I figured, it's already bought, so I may as well give it a whirl. I spent about 30 minutes on each side before I realized I can only polish a turd so much. They look a little better, but I'm not that satisfied.

Before Left:

After Left:

After Right:

Full Meal Deal:

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
shane i have one of those grille surrounds brand new if your interested.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Do you have any pics? Im assuming its a 97/98 grille then?

EDIT: Also, is it a Ford or aftermarket piece?

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have any pics? Im assuming its a 97/98 grille then?

EDIT: Also, is it a Ford or aftermarket piece?
i think its an aftermarket piece. it was a leftover from another project.

yes it the smaller type grille. and i can get pics for ya this weekend.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I haven't made it down to the wrecking yard yet because it's only a bit more for a new grille. Although it will be a Chinese made POS, which I was not so happy with the replacement on my Ranger. Anyway, I was piddlin' around in the shed today and saw the headlight restore kit I bought for my Mustang tail lights.

I figured, it's already bought, so I may as well give it a whirl. I spent about 30 minutes on each side before I realized I can only polish a turd so much. They look a little better, but I'm not that satisfied.
Lightning headlight/running light time. :icon_idea:

I want to get a set of those that are black around the actual light (because my truck is mostly black) The regular Lightning ones look really sharp too.

It isn't a big deal since I got a grille guard now though. It protects the lights and distracts you from looking very closely at them. I do marvel how they are not getting scuzzy yet though.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Lightning headlight/running light time. :icon_idea:

I want to get a set of those that are black around the actual light (because my truck is mostly black) The regular Lightning ones look really sharp too.

It isn't a big deal since I got a grille guard now though. It protects the lights and distracts you from looking very closely at them. I do marvel how they are not getting scuzzy yet though.
I just called and they have the Lightning lights for $53 a piece, but are out of stock for "a while". They have the regular F150 lights for $25 a piece. The grille is actually less than their website said. He said $37 for the chrome grille. I need to go and see if it has the bars or the "X" pattern though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I doubt a JY would get too many Lightnings in, and if they did the front ends would probably be all smashed up.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I doubt a JY would get too many Lightnings in, and if they did the front ends would probably be all smashed up.
Oh, my fault. Those prices are for brand new from the Certifit (Interstate) dealer we have here.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, my fault. Those prices are for brand new from the Certifit (Interstate) dealer we have here.
Dang, that isn't too bad. I would wait for them to get some more in stock.

Get the side marker lights too, the stockers don't go with the lightning headlights very well.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I took the shell off today so I could get a load of gravel. I like the way it looks sans the shell. I honestly think my Ranger handled weight every bit as good as this F150. I put 1200 lbs. of gravel in it, and it was squatting pretty good. I had 1600 or 1700 lbs. in the Ranger once, and it did every bit as good.

Well, I took some pics of it without the shell. I dig it.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I finally have some actual data to go by for gas mileage. I got 15.6 mpg out of the last tank of gas. This isn't bad at all considering my Ranger always got between 16 and 17. It may also be noted that I took out the air filter to have a look, and it is filthy. I also would like to do a plug and wire change because I also found that the plug say 1996 on them. So, I think I may be able to actually beat, if not match, the Ranger's fuel economy.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Well, I haven't done much at all to Hoss yet. I was pretty sick for about 3 weeks with the flu. Then my wife and kids have/had it now.

BUT, I do have to do something I have to fix on Hoss now before it makes more problems. The Multi-function switch is taking a dump. I have to push really hard to get the washer fluid to spray, the wipers take 3 or 4 seconds to start working, and now the left turn signal only works when fully engaged (just pressing it down when I change lanes doesn't work anymore). In reading up, it appears that the 97 and 98's had a lot of issues with these switches because Ford used some grease that doesn't play nice. I also read that it will eventually start messing with my headlights, and I don't need that hoopla.

So I ordered a new Motorcraft unit from Rock Auto for 42 bucks + shipping. Autozone wants 90 bucks for their Duracrap unit. One thing I am happy about, is my current hazard light switch is red, and WAY faded to where it's now pink. The new one appears to have a black switch, like the Ranger.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Well, Rock Auto sent the wrong unit. It was a "wholesaler closeout", which is why I got it for so cheap. I called them, and they are going to give me a FULL refund. They were very good about it.

So, I had the thing all torn apart and I figured I want to get fixed while it's all torn apart. So I decided that before I go pay Autozone 90 dollars for their unit, I'd try and fix mine. I took it apart, and what a mess! The PO had obviously spilled a coke in it from the brown syrupy gunk all over the contacts (this would also explain why my cruise control buttons stick all the time). I also found one wire that had come out of it's spade connector, which runs the wipers. I re-crimped that wire into it's spade. Then I slapped it all back together, did some Tebowing, and voila; it works as good as new.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Sooo, I've not done much with the F150 lately. But I did start getting a "cylinder 3 misfire pending" code. I'm not sure what the "pending" part means, but I guess I'd better get to putting the plugs and wires I bought on. I just went outside and almost got frostbite walking 20 feet to the truck, so I guess I'll have to take it to my buddies shop next week or something.

Look at the year on the plug wire (1996). Think it's time to replace them yet? BTW, this plug wire is yet another reason I think the guy lied to me about a new motor being put in it. I would have bought the truck anyway, I just wish he would have avoided the lying. I hate lying.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals