• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91 Explorer build......finally.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Cool, that's what the plan is whenever I get around to it.

You should be good out back with the 35s, but will probably need to remove some from the front, but probably not too much.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
I doubt I will rub much, if at all until I really start thrashing it on the trails. The 35s only measure out to 33.5-34. I am entertaining a 1inch hockey puck body lift to give me a little bit of room wrenching without to much risk of shifting the cab WHEN, not if I slam into a tree. I have seen first hand how much a cab will shift on a vehicle with a 3inch body lift, its not cool.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I wasn't sure if the SOA and SJ springs were gonna be enough since my 31s rubbed so bad on my Ranger and I was thinking about a 1" body lift. I'll have to remember to pound flat the pinch weld above the bellhousing whenever this tranny comes out. It doesn't leak, but it does make some noise and can be hard to shift when hot.

A friend got 1" spacers off eBay for about $1 each and did a drivetrain lift on his Yota for a flatter belly. I told him mine came like that, with skidplates on everything too. :thefinger:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Got around to grinding off those radius arms.

Where the tires were rubbing

The tires are a little torn

Ground off

Tires rub a little bit still, but I'll try to get some 1/4" spacers since they just rub at full lock.

Opened up this window too

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
Its funny to see someone who has nearly the exact same vehicle I do with nearly the exact same lift. Seeing your bolt that secures your beam reminded me of the fact I had a little bit to long of a bolt in the b2 when I installed the d35 so at some point my d35 shaft COMPLETELY sheared off around an inch of my pivot bolt without damaging anything.
You were much nicer about how you ground down your radius arms, I just hacked away and them till it stopped rubbing (for the most part) and said a prayer, kinda like I did the other night when I welded my d35.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I usually try to be nice to my junk.... mostly. I'd rather not have these break, but if you didn't have any problems then I definitely shouldn't worry about it. Then again this will be seeing occasional highway action.

I'm waiting to watch the build of your Explorer now...

I also messed with my alignment as I think the coils are finally starting to sag a little from the weight of the truck, and from actually being wheeled. As soon as I have some money to spare, I'm getting a lifetime alignment at Firestone. Aaand, I replaced the pass side axle seal with one from the front end that came out of the truck, only since it was sitting in the garage. If it leaks I'll actually replace it, since the tiny seal can't be much more than like $5.

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic

No more peeling clear coat

Took care of that too

Didn't quite get the hood taken care of yet

2+ hours of sanding was enough for me today, it still needs a couple spots to be blended a bit better. I figure I'm gonna see the hood while I'm driving so I should take my time. I had it all the way down to 100 grit taking off the peeling clear coat, then stepped it back up to 400. I'll take care of it the rest of the way tomorrow.

Found a flex ramp too, that's with the sway bar in.

Just barely touching

Pulled the sway bar

Still well on the ground, but in the pic above you can see my tire was against the rail, so I need a better ramp. Or something.

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic

A can and a half later, I'm out paint. I bought the only two cans of Dupli-Color Whild Thrawberry that I could find in town, so one on order at Schuckles and I'll pick it up on my way home from school tomorrow.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic

Hood's back on finally.. I used all of the other can of red, and a whole can of clear on it. I just kept laying on the clear til the shinyness was even, lol. It's a little dull, but I don't really care. I may try to buff it a bit after a while to see if it'll match, we'll see.

Now I can go wheeling!... I just need money. :pray:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That might be what happens to my BII hood and top for now.

Looks good. If you wet sand it with 2000 grit sand paper, it should pull some shine out of the hood.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I'll have to remember that when I get around to it.

BTW I used the Dupli-Color factory match paint, and it's awesome. It runs $7 a can, but it's pretty a much 100% match, just not quite as deep, that and the original paint is a little faded/weathered.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Built a new sub box, but it's not in yet... The back half of the truck is torn apart, and I'm done for the night. Pics tomorrow.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Took longer than I thought, I've been dealing with other stuff the past few days. Now it's finally done... for now.

This pocket can be conveniently removed

And there is a lot of space back there.

I'll figure out some way to wrap the box that is better, but that will do for now. The box itself is came out to 1.01 cf interior volume without the sub. I did a little searching online and found that these sound best at right around a cube, and after figuring out what I had to work with for space, I'm pretty happy how close I got to that. It sounds much better and hits much harder than it did in the old box I had it in, which was about 1.35 cf. Plus I have a lot of my cargo space back, and it's actually secured to something instead of bungee-corded in place.

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is that amp'd or just ran from deck? you gain a lot of sound by pointing it sideways instead of like mine pointing towards the back glass? i'm intrested in doin somethin like this...

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
It's amped. The amp is tucked behind the panel just in front of the box. I'm not sure about the power gain other than from the significantly smaller box. I've had it in a number of different boxes and this one is by far the best.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals