• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91 Exploder

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a Surco rack, some new lights put on, and a new Firestik CB antenna. Now I just need some new coax cable to hook the antenna up. Also have 2 more smaller square lights to go on the back of the rack for reverse lights.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Scored a set of headers from the junkyard today. Got them for $16 and some change. I believe they are Borla. The Explorer had a Borla Exhaust sticker and thats what they look like to me looking at pics on the net but Im not 100% sure.

Also picked up a set of Bilstein shocks. Not sure how good of shape they are in or how many miles for for $5 each I said why not.

Got some questions on the headers. What brand do they look like to everybody and will they work with a stock y pipe or will I have to get one/make one? The y pipe that was with them was all tore up and cracked but it looked like a stock one to me but Im not 100% sure.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the reverse lights mounted on the rack and did some wiring and little stuff like that.

When it snowed last week and I was pull people out of ditches I lost the remote for the winch somewhere so I want and bought another one and then the next day I found it but it had been ran over. Switch and everything still worked so I used the switch and wire to have a control in the cab.

Switches. One is fore the 4 lights on top, one is for the reverse lights, one for the air compressor, and one to turn on the switch for the winch switch. The light switches are SPDT so I have them wired up with a on all the time position, off, and automatic on. The reverse will come on when it in reverse and the 4 lights on top will come on with the high beams. Dont mind the extra holes they were already there. Ill grab a new piece from the junkyard next time and re drill it.

Relays

Reverse lights on rack.

Also bought a 4.56 gear for the front diff. Now I need to save up some more money for a rear gear, body lift, and some 33's and Ill be set for a little while.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a body lift from the UPS man today. Ill probably get it put on this weekend.

Got the 4.56 gears for the front and rear on the way. Now I just need to find me a locker for the rear and then save for some bigger meats.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finished up the body lift today for the most part since I had the day off.

Only broke off one of the stock body bolts and the bushing would not come apart to save it life so I could get the broke bolt out. So I had to cut it in half to get it out. Managed to save it and reuse it with a little fix. I cut a piece off a 4/2 deep well socket to go on the underside to keep the lower bushing from being crushed when you tighten it down since the stock pieces were all rusted together.

Couldnt get the steering shaft to come apart so I figured I would try it without the extension and its fine. No binding or anything at all.

Here is the pieces that go on the bottom side that are rusted together.

My fix.

Body lift on.

Now I need to get a shifter extension and extend the t-case shifter somehow also. Also need to find a way to mount the trailer hitch up higher so it doesnt hang as low now.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the shifters extended.

Didnt want to pay the $40 for the shifter extension and I had a few spare shifter pivot ball deals that go into the tranny so I cut the inches off one of the and welded to the top of the stock one. I had to grind the big ball off of it though. It may not be pretty but you cant see it and it works great and was free.

For the t-case shifter I just cut it in half and welded in a 3 inch piece between it.

Tranny shifter

T-case shifter

Now the shifters are back in the stock locations. Cant tell a difference from the inside.

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
your rig is awsome! makes me wish i still had my 94 exploder.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Figured I would go try it out in some mud today. Did decent just needs bigger tires.

First time I got stuck i made it about half way across and it high centerd and I got it backed out and figured what the hell ill give it another try. Made it just about out and the front and rear diffs were bulldozing mud the whole way. Little tug with the winch got it right out. Something with with decent size tires has been playing in that hole.

Then later on I was following a trail then the stopped before little creek no more tracks. Got out and looked and it wasnt real deep or anything and felt pretty solid so I figured what the hell Ill give it a try. Figured I needed to try the winch out anyway. So I made sure there was a tree to hook it up to and gave it a try. Made it just about into the edge of the creek and it sunk to the diffs. Ground was super soft. Hooked the winch up and pulled it right on through with no problems.

So far I like the Smittybilt winch great. I would definitely recommend it to anybody. Now I just need some bigger tires.

Also got my gears this past week.

8.8 4.56

D35 4.56

Difference in 8.8 and d35 ring gear.

My Aussie locker is supposed to ship out one day this coming week so Ill have the gears and rear locker put in before to much longer. Then Just save up for some bigger tires.

Also got a new black grille, headlight surrounds, and some clear front lights on the way.

Last edited:

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a the new black grill, headlight surrounds, and some new clear front lights put on just a little bit ago. Now I need some new headlights. Probably going to niteshade a set of rears since I cant find a set of clears anywhere.

Also got my install kit for the 8.8 today. Front install kit should be here nest Tuesday and the locker should be shipping out one day this week. So I am getting closer to getting the 4.56's in.

Now I am thinking of skipping the 33's and putting on a 4" suspension lift and going with 35's.

Combs Customs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 1993 /19
Make / Model
Ford / Ford / F
Engine Size
4.0L / 4.0L /4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I like ur build. I had my 10k winch mounted the same and cut the grille bar exactly like urs. also got the clear corners on it.

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the Aussie locker in the mail today.

8.8 Install kit

Also got the broke axle changed out. Here is the broke one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals