• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 88 BII Build!!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
damn, that thing looks good, got a question tho, what gears are you running? stock 3.73's? i'm putting 31's on mine and i have 3.73's, and i wanna know if the 2.9 and stock gears have trouble with the bigger tires.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i just have two ?'s for you
why did you reuse the d28 all the brand new parts and use a piece of shit for a front axle and the second why the hell if you are lifting it would you reuse the auto hubs they suck please change them at least
there are better ways of wording your questions without being sooo condecending....

maybe he isn't planning on goin to do any wheelin'....i know if my truck was that nice it would prolly just be a "Mall Crawler"....

the hubs are an easy swap....maybe his budget isn't allowing it just yet....or he really doesn't need em'... ( see above statement )

plus i have seen D28's last with nothing more than 31's....it's anything bigger than 31's the D28 starts to suffer.....

lifting can always be a cosmetic thing.....not necessarily a functional thing....

l8r, John

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i just have two ?'s for you
why did you reuse the d28 all the brand new parts and use a piece of shit for a front axle and the second why the hell if you are lifting it would you reuse the auto hubs they suck please change them at least
lol, I'm low on money!!!!!:bawling: Don't worry they will be changed later for sure!!

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
damn, that thing looks good, got a question tho, what gears are you running? stock 3.73's? i'm putting 31's on mine and i have 3.73's, and i wanna know if the 2.9 and stock gears have trouble with the bigger tires.
Yes, I have 3.73s. Its not that bad. You definitely know the 31s are there, acceleration is not as great as before. I have yet to go on the highway yet so I'm not sure how it will do in OD, but all in all not that bad.

I want to re-gear in though, either to 4.10 or 4.56 I have not decided yet.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ok cool, i was a little worried about it

yeah, i wanna regear too, i'm just going to 4.10's tho, i think 4.56's would be overkill. once you put the k&n filter back on, you should have a little better acceleration. i've had one on mine for last 7 or 8 years and acceleration is WAY better than it was with the stock box

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok cool, i was a little worried about it

yeah, i wanna regear too, i'm just going to 4.10's tho, i think 4.56's would be overkill. once you put the k&n filter back on, you should have a little better acceleration. i've had one on mine for last 7 or 8 years and acceleration is WAY better than it was with the stock box
Yeah I think 4.10s will be perfect for you. I saw in your build that you have a manual so even with the 3.73s you wont be to bad. I plan on putting the K&N back in. I'm going to try and find a place I can get some aluminum sheet metal an build a heat shield then I'll open the exhaust up a bit with a Thrush welded muffler, then look into getting some pacesetter headers. How do you like your set??

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey that is looking good, very clean BII!

how is the lift, i kinda want to lift mine more but i am short on funds.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I think 4.10s will be perfect for you. I saw in your build that you have a manual so even with the 3.73s you wont be to bad. I plan on putting the K&N back in. I'm going to try and find a place I can get some aluminum sheet metal an build a heat shield then I'll open the exhaust up a bit with a Thrush welded muffler, then look into getting some pacesetter headers. How do you like your set??
i havent had a chance to run them yet, i just put the engine back in yesterday morning. i hope to try starting it in a couple weeks, i gotta do some other stuff first. i didnt have any clearance issues with the block or the oil filter mount....i did have to remove the driver side manifold to get the engine back in, it kept hitting the frame.

so far they seem pretty good though, they were only $200, i think i paid about $5 for shipping plus they have a 3 year warranty. funny thing is, it's cheaper to put headers on (plus a much longer warranty) than putting on OEM manifolds from a parts store

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey that is looking good, very clean BII!

how is the lift, i kinda want to lift mine more but i am short on funds.
Thanks man,

the lift is not bad. It's rough country so it's one of the cheaper ones, but I like it.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
can you measure your rear driveshaft length for me? i'm trying to figure out if i am going to need to get mine extended. i have a james duff double cardan joint driveshaft and it extends, but i wanna see if i will need it to be any longer. thanks

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
can you measure your rear driveshaft length for me? i'm trying to figure out if i am going to need to get mine extended. i have a james duff double cardan joint driveshaft and it extends, but i wanna see if i will need it to be any longer. thanks
Yeah sure, mine is 32 3/8" but I have the A4LD auto tranny and I know have a 5 speed so you might need a different length then what I have. You can just unbolt your stock drive shaft and measure form the flange on the t-case to the flange on the rear end. That's all I did and it turned out perfect:headbang:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ahhhh, yeah, i forgot you had an auto tranny. well good news is, my james duff shaft is a shade under 33" when fully extended, so i think it should work when i lift mine. i'm only gonna lift mine 3" in the rear anyhow, i have a shackle and i'm gonna get an add a leaf or a 1 inch block. thanks a lot for measuring that :icon_thumby:

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ahhhh, yeah, i forgot you had an auto tranny. well good news is, my james duff shaft is a shade under 33" when fully extended, so i think it should work when i lift mine. i'm only gonna lift mine 3" in the rear anyhow, i have a shackle and i'm gonna get an add a leaf or a 1 inch block. thanks a lot for measuring that :icon_thumby:
No problem, glad I could help

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
one more question, did you need a new front driveshaft?

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nope, bolted right up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals