• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 4.6 swap starts

F350n4.6Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 from police interceptor
Transmission
Manual
Got the seats in with the column and the instrument cluster, also beefed the coil buckets to wrap around the frame. Trans gets picked up this saturday.

old meets new.... 156k miles vs 64k miles

buckets

gauge cluster

interior

d35, blasted, painted, new u-joints, ball joints, bearings, seals

More to come later

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
What route do you plan on taking with the steering box?

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
This might help.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
This is the clearance dlibson had without the ps pump and water neck/oil filter mount bolted to the block. There might not even be room for the aftermarket piece BigBlockRanger posted.

F350n4.6Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This might help.

What is this piece everyone keeps posting? looks like something that would go on the water neck

Edit: nevermind found pics of it online, looks like this might be the route I have to go

Here is how it works for those who don't know, like me about 5 minutes ago. This one is from livernoismotorsports.com

Last edited:

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if dlibson's engine is centered in the frame or offset to one side. I would offset the engine to the pass side a smooch and use the Moroso one. It would probably be easier to fit than the livernois one. Crap, if you can fab worth a darn, just make one that has the outlet pointing straight down. Wouldn't be too hard at all.

************edit***********

dlibson's is set to the pass side 3/4".

Last edited:

F350n4.6Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, my motor is going as far over as possible and up as far as possible (heater box should be fun), I dont care if I have to make a 2" cowl hood for clearance. I really dont wanna run a nissan box and fubar the steering linkage up more than it already is. The only way I would run a nissan box is if I was doing a SAS with a EB d44, but I want to keep the d35. and yes I would run the moroso one, I might just make one, I have a mill and tig at my disposal. :icon_welder:. I need to find out how to fool the DPFE and maybe EGR to get more clearance, maybe have the PCM burned to remove the auto trans functions, dpfe, and egr tables? anyone have any info about that?

Edit: Also found out today I have the F5ae heads :headbang:

Last edited:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
The crown vic is actually EEC IV right if so you will be limited to support on tuning. Tweecer may back the ecu you have. check out Tweecer tuning. Look for the 4 digit catch code on the vics ecu. good thing you have the F5AE heads someone had to have chaged the heads out at one time or its a late 95.

Last edited:

F350n4.6Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, the engine was made in sept of 95, and it is an WCC2 EEC-V computer. Motor dropped in today, just for mockup, PLENTY of room. I got the heater box issue all sorted out easily, and cut off the battery box, I have tons of room to play around with thanks to the body lift. Unfortunately I forgot the camera but I will be picking up the trans tomorrow hopefully and will snag some pictures of it then. :headbang:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
goof you have the EEC V. tuning will be simple. With the SCT xcalibrator 2 you will be able to turn off the rear 02s, turn off egr, tune the fuel trim and timing curves....if you really want to get into it latter you can purchase the pro racer package to really get into tuning the motor. With the body lift you have alot more room to play with. You may be able to get past the steering box issues. The only negative thing would be the weight of the 4.6 would half to sit higher up

Last edited:

matt123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
iam getting ready to start my own project just like this. i bought the motor, trans, driveshaft, rear-end, trans x-member and wiring harnes out of a 1992 grand marquis for 300 bucks. it had 43,xxx original miles on it. my best friend bought it off of his grandfather for 400 bucks, it was gonna be his DD but it needed new brakes, tires, fuel pump, fuel and brake lines, etc. about 900 bucks in parts to get street worthy. so he instead sold me all that and we shot the hell out of the car and its off to the junkyard now. he is building a v8 s10 and i want to build a ranger to kick his ass with. i found a 4x4 for like 300 bucks that i may buy next weekend

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
and to think i just bought a 97 F150 for $500 .... well ...... I can't buy it after the snow season, she won't sell it to me until then......... now I just need a clean Gen 1 to put it into.

F350n4.6Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, haven't posted up in a while, progress has been made in the ranger, motor, transmission, and t-case all fit and are mounted up, I got past the steering box issue with this:

its a -16 o-ring 90 with a 45* -16 on it, clears the box by a full inch, just got the radiator the other day, along with the centerforce pressureplate, luk disc, new slave, pilot, throwout, flywheel, more pictures tomorrow. :beer:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
well your mr badass:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals