• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1988 v8 Swap

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
So I traded a 1985 honda 3 wheeler for this relitivly rust free (for this area, they use ALOT of salt on the roads) 88 ford ranger. The truck was already a project that I was going to finsih, but the motor was a 2.3 turbo (hence my name). But after alot of wiring issues and all that bullcrap I said this is enough and hauled it out, later trading it for a "70,000km" 1978 302. Well it had far from 70,000.... It ended up taking .40 thou just to clean it up. On the bright side I got a fresh engine! Already aquired: bran new .40 over pistons and rigns, new bearings throughout the motor, compltle engine gasket kit, new edlebrock valve covers, new summit racing mini truck headers, pre-bent 2.5" pipe from a guy who had an unfinished ranger project. The rods have been grinded and remachined round, I ported and polished the heads (off 69 Torino, better compression than the stock 78's) along with new vavle seals. Future plans involve: new cam, lifters, pushrods, valve springs, rocker arms, timing chain and gears, 4 bbl and alum intake, new oil pump, water pump, alt, starter, distributor, and whatever im forgetting will also be new.

Im also looking for color ideas on the motor, I was thinking purple block, silver heads, then all my crome stuff. I dont want blue its to common.

Heres a few pics of my girl, shes on the right. I call them Bonnie & Clyde, the left one is a 96 4cyl 2wd.

morse johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
You doing a great job to that ranger keep up the good work and keep us posted. i cant wait to see it painted

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
Well since im waiting for things to get done, I decided to go out and buy a rear end so can get something done. Its out of a 97 ranger, its a 8.8 posi track with 3.55 gears. Already got the new u-bolts and should be changing it soon.

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
Its been a while since ive posted on this thread, but I wanted to start from the begining with some pictures to show you guys progress over time.

Truck and motor, when first traded.

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
After deciding to swap the turbo out for a V8.

The 77 302 when I first brought it home.

And a set of 69 torino heads I got off an uncle. Before and after complete rebuild (valve guides, valve seats, new oversized valves, seals, ported and polished).

The bran new summit swap headers I scored online for $100.

And of course general work done to the truck its self.

Rear end swap.

Body work, new fender, tailgate and underside rust proofing.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Nice project....How about candy apple blue block, metal flake silver heads and paint the body the same color as the block.:icon_idea:

...Set off by the chrome....:icon_cheers:

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whats the part number for those headers you scored on? Id love to get my hands on a pair of those.. There perfect for custom exhaust

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If those heads still have the stock rocker studs, you are going to be really limited in rocker selection to something like these.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-RPM1431-16/?rtype=10
Those are what are called positive-stop and use rockers that are guided by the valve stem. Could drill for threaded studs and have to use guide plates.
Dave

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
I see no real problem with those rockers? Pretty much what I was aiming for anyways lol

Works pretty slow on the truck right now, busy putting together my little 2.3 to get me around. Ill have updates as soon as i get my engine back!

Cam10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
for the engine how about a royal plum. looks real good with chrome valve covers and polished intake.

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
Thats a good combination, maybe ill go with it!

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
Works slow... so I guess I'll ask if anybodys got some suggestions for the build???

88Turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Manual
Bran new crank for $150. The guy just had it sitting in his garage all wrapped up from an unfinished mustang project. SCORE!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals