• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mounting Tires

RangerRocker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How hard would it be for myself and a friend to mount a 33x 1250 on a 15x7 rim ? The local tire shops in phoenix wont do it because of liability issues. Any help???

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
How hard would it be for myself and a friend to mount a 33x 1250 on a 15x7 rim ? The local tire shops in phoenix wont do it because of liability issues. Any help???
if you lube the hell out of it you should be able to get the tire on the rim. there is an old school tool similar to a knuckle buster tire iron that had a flat spoon side that tire shops used before they had air driven machines. it will probably take a few hours and some patience, it would be easier if the tire was warm too. a tire iron might work as well, but be careful to not rip the tire. you should be able to do it though. you will need a good air compresser too. the hardest part will probably getting the bead to seal. u might be able to check craigslist for someone near you who has a tire machine at their house that would try to put the tire on.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't even bother trying to mount them on the rim. It is way to narrow. The minimum width recommended for that size tire is a 15x8 however the recommended rim width is 10". If you really want to put them on those rims then get a set of tire irons and go at it, there are a few instructional videos on youtube of how to do it.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
7" isn't too narrow...

The Harbor Freight $40 tire "machine" works great, no telling how much $$$ I've saved by mounting tires myself...

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
7" isn't too narrow...

The Harbor Freight $40 tire "machine" works great, no telling how much $$$ I've saved by mounting tires myself...
On a 12.5" wide tire? Yeah that's pretty narrow.

Did they give you a reason to why they wouldn't mount the tires? Most of the tire shops around here sell and install up to 35" tires.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
7" rims are fine, there's less chance of popping a bead on rocky trails. I've been running 7" rims with 33 12.50 for the last ten years.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I can vouch for those tire changers...I've mounted probably 3-4 dozen tires with one, from 175/60R14's to 39x15x15s. Just use soap and water on the bead's and call it good.

RangerRocker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. I will give it a shot today.

P.McKenna

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am a former Tire & Brake Tech, You could always try to find another shop to mount them. I used to work w/ the local Crawlers and Desert racers so you would be fine mounting 12.50s on 7's.

Do yourself a favor and if you buy that tire changer, buy a stem puller while your at it. It'll save ya some time. Good luck

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i mounted my dads 32x11.50s on his stock explorer rims 7" and there fine. on my truck i have 33x12.50s and i bought 8" rims i just got a shop to mount my tires
but mounting tires is a pin in the ass by hand but it can be done just alot of lube warm tires and 3 tire irons makes it easy. (once u get the technique down)
________
Volcano Vaporizer

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals