• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

motor swap from 2.9 to 2.3

bowlingbum

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all this is my first post. I currently own a 1989 ford ranger 2wd 2.9 long story short the motor is on its way out. I seen alot of people do a swap to a 2.3. I have a chance to get a really good deal on a 2.3 out of a 93 mustang lx dual spark motor with 50 k on it runs great. I will be able to get everything wiring harness,radiator,cooling van everything i need for a great price. i ask tho what are some issues i might run into. i will not use the trans out of the 2.3 its auto and my 5 speed manual is perfect thats bolted to the 2.9 will my trans bolt up or can i change bell hosuing from a manual . will i need a diff starter also .what do i need to grab from this donor to make it happen will i need to change motor mounts etc . if anyone has any info on this swap id really apreciate it thank you.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS~!

The good news is...it's been done before...by me...

The not so good news is...you will need the transmission and probably a driveshaft for the 2.3...not sure if the Mustangs used the M5OD like the Rangers but if not you will want one out of a Ranger...it's a truck thing!

Same for the starter...if your 2.9 is a manual you won't need to change the pedals since they both use a hydrolic clutch and the master will work with both. The driveshaft may be the proper length but you will probably have to change the end with one that will fit the 2.3 transmission...

The motor mounts are different...so plan to pick up a set of those...and the transmission cross member should work...didn't have to move mine and that was from an automatic 2.9 to a manual 2.3...

So you have a bit more parts scrounging before doing the swap and hopefully you will have enough time to get everything together...it is an easy swap...made easier if you remove the cab...but that is not necessary...just more fun and more parts to replace...

Last edited:

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Mustangs used the Borg Warner T5

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Personally I would swap to a 4.0l just my 2cents

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I say 4.0 of you can.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
Eh, a 2.3/2.5 is going to be slow but get decent mileage. I can hit 25mpg on highway trips, and that's flooring it up every hill.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Eh, a 2.3/2.5 is going to be slow but get decent mileage. I can hit 25mpg on highway trips, and that's flooring it up every hill.
The fours can get 30mpg hwy easily, if you're sensible on the gas.

Last edited:

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I just got your PM bowlingbum, your best bet is to try and find a 2.0/2.3/2.5 manual transmission, flywheel, starter, and clutch, from a junk yard or on craigslist, ford made a zillion of them, so it should be pretty easy, if you stay with the mazda M50D transmission(straight shifter with an internal clutch slave cylinder) used in 1988 up rangers, then you can use your drive shaft and transmission crossmember, you will need the 2.3 motor mount's, however, depending on how old they are, and the mileage, you may want to just buy a new set, because the rubber in them tend's to degrade and come apart from age, and they are fairly cheap

as other's have said, if you wanted more power, the 4.0L ohv v6 is a good option, and can be alittle cheaper to swap, as of the 4.0 is the only other engine that will bolt up to your 2.9 bellhousing, so you wouldn't need to get another transmission in that case, here is alittle info on this swap incase you decide to go this route http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4L_Conversion_faqs.shtml

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
That would be the other, newer, Duratech 2.3L. In order for me to get 30mpg on the old 2.3L was to drive 45-55mph on a flat road with no wind.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That would be the other, newer, Duratech 2.3L. In order for me to get 30mpg on the old 2.3L was to drive 45-55mph on a flat road with no wind.

I drove my 85 2.3 down to Santa Monica CA and back from southern Utah (about 550 miles one way). My Speedo doesn't work so I just watched the rpms. I was driving about 65-75mph and averaged a little better than 30mpg for the whole trip. But i am running a 3.08 axle and I had 205/70/14's at the time.

Sorry to get off topic .

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
If torque and acceleration are more important than mileage, get the 4.0
I've owned both-driving the 4.0 is way more fun, but sucks gas down quick (13-18mpg)

I've got an ultragauge hooked up & calibrated. Front dam and tonneau cover. If I run at 55ish, really light on the throttle, it reads out 28-32. But I have places to be, so it averages 22mpg(floored, fast highway, shifting at 3500-4k)

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
If torque and acceleration are more important than mileage, get the 4.0
I've owned both-driving the 4.0 is way more fun, but sucks gas down quick (13-18mpg)
it depends on if your talking about the ohv or sohc 4.0, my 1999 with the sohc 4.0, 5 speed automatic 4x4, got 20 city and 24-25 highway

but I never got more then maybe 15 city out of a 94 ranger with the 4.0 ohv in it that I drove for awhile

Last edited:

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
it depends on if your talking about the ohv or sohc 4.0, my 1999 with the sohc 4.0, 5 speed automatic 4x4, got 20 city and 24-25 highway

but I never got more then maybe 15 city out of a 94 ranger with the 4.0 ohv in it that I drove for awhile
Sorry, the OHV. I imagine the SOHC would do better

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals