• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mildest SAS.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
I'm interested in doing an SAS on my 95. So the minimum lift is 6"; correct? In order to get this 6" height which leafs would be best to use? I'm interested in using the shortest leafs possible so the front hangers don't have to be way out there. And then whats the best and max tire size to use with this combo? Would 36's work out fine with no rubbing for street use?

zainyD]

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would use a set of stock Wagoneer 7 leaf packs. I believe the are right around 46" eye to eye and should provide just enough lift for 35'-36's. Either the Waggy packs or a set of Rancho 44044's which would provide a bit more lift, perhaps more than you are looking for.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Does 46" eye to eye result in less flex? What is the eye distance on Ranger rear leafs?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Rear leafs are probably too long (they'd stick forward of the front bumper).

Why not use coils? Your truck is already set up for coils, it be easier than fabbing up all the new mounts needed for leaf springs (that and the ride quality will be far better too).

chico4554

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea it would be much easier to just use coils. Get some 3.5" early bronco lift coils for 6" of ranger lift. (assuming you have a supercab) more lift if its a regular cab.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Not interested in coils. In my experience heims don't do well for daily street duty. I need something that is simple and reliable. I'm actually interested in less flex so whatever leaf will limit flex is what I'd like.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Not interested in coils. In my experience heims don't do well for daily street duty. I need something that is simple and reliable. I'm actually interested in less flex so whatever leaf will limit flex is what I'd like.

If you dont want to run anything bigger than 36's and a 6" lift, nor are you wanting much suspension travel, why are you wanting to do the axle swap? I fail to follow your logic here, care to elaborate?

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you dont want to run anything bigger than 36's and a 6" lift, nor are you wanting much suspension travel, why are you wanting to do the axle swap? I fail to follow your logic here, care to elaborate?
+1, get a cheap 6" lift for the TTB.

zainyD]

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Perhaps he doesn't want to deal with all of the issues that come with the TTB.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
TTB issues? the D35 is a prety stout axle.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So dont use heims. Use a Johnny joint or Flex joint. These are the types of joints that come on just about every off the shelf linked lift kit.

dirtraider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats the stupidest reason to swap in an axle i've ever heard. I have coils with no heims...if you don't want flex keep the TTB.

TTB issues? the D35 is a prety stout axle.
This statement is also dumb if you think the Dana 35 is a stout axle not only do you have no idea what you are talking about, you have never tried to do ANYTHING that resemebles serious wheeling.

Sure a FEW people on the board get by with TTB but they just like being different.

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
dirtraider dont be a asshole listen to wut Broaner has in mind it could be interesting and yes the danna 35 is a ok axel maybe some ppl like it its not up to you to be an ass and contradict wut ppl got to say so my advice to you is to shut up and listen to the full story and respect ppls views. have a good dogfucking day

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
dirtraider dont be a asshole listen to wut Broaner has in mind it could be interesting and yes the danna 35 is a ok axel maybe some ppl like it its not up to you to be an ass and contradict wut ppl got to say so my advice to you is to shut up and listen to the full story and respect ppls views. have a good dogfucking day
Nicely Put.

My D35 has held up to some serious shite.....

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Really, I don't know if an SAS is for me. This thread is more or less to determine that. Ultimately I'd like to have a very capable and versatile truck. Very capable to me means good in all weather conditions; I love going for a drive in a blizzard when most others don't dare and the occaisional off road adventure be it through snow or a simple trail. Hauling @ss down a dirt road is one of my favorite activites followed shortly by bombing through a field covered with two feet of snow. At this point this truck is my DD and its got a really straight body on it so I don't wanna go messing it up just yet on rocks or extremely technical trails with trees and such.

Currently I've got dead balljoints on the D35 and I'm debating with myself which route to go. I've already had my fair share of problems with the hubs, now the balljoints and I'm getting rather fed up with it. And thats only with 31's. My thinking is that anything larger will really take a beating on the front end with my driving habits. Also, I'm very hard on my brakes. I'm so used to having light cars with discs all around that the braking on this truck has me wishing for more. To help with that I'm gonna do an Explorer rear end.

So, my thinking for the SAS using a D44 is that everything that I've had problems with so far is beefier and will stand the abuse better. Am I correct in thinking this?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals