• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mild prerunner supension?

harwood39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok guys, i drive this truck daily, but also want to be able to do some hard, fast prerunner style offroading. Will a skyjacker 6in subdue? or should i go with a more expensive kit?

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Skyjacker isnt really for prerunning , its more for a trail rig. inexpensive and prerunner dont usually mix, camburg makes a kit for your truck but its pricey, you could try to buy some used beams and use deavers/internation leafs in the rear

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 (until it breaks anyway)
Transmission
Manual
orr trucks aren't bought. their built. Lift kits are designed more for lower impact offroading (bear in mind all mudders/rockcrawlers, I'm not saying such offroading is easy.)

that in mind, decide what you want out of it (amount of travel, impact absorbtion, etc) and go from there.

harwood39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok well about 16 in of travel... i know i can get that with dixon racings bed cage, and deaver 2.5 in springs... so i might go that route... And than figure out the front next...

Im guessing prerunners/orr trucks arent built very high?

Any other companys make a bedcage? How is the camburg setup for just the coil over kit, not the full race kit?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
This a 2WD or 4x4? (makes a huge difference in recommendations).

Last edited:

harwood39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you'll be doing a lot of jumping, then I'd agree with the others, a Camburg (or the like) kit might be the better choice.

The Skyjacker kits would stand up to that pretty well too, but they won't have as much bracket clearance when the suspension gets compressed on landings due to not having the modified beams, which increases the chance of striking something and bending it.
You'll need to chuck those SJ twintube shocks for some Bilsteins or something as well, otherwise they'll fade out on you real quick.

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 (until it breaks anyway)
Transmission
Manual
ok, first off, any kit that requires the use of drop brackets, avoid like the plague. While these are fine for rock crawling or mudding, in a prerunner they are constantly going to be torqued on and will probably damage your frame. Cut and turn or d44 ttb swap are going to be your best options.

for the rear, the longer the springs are, the better. blocks are evil. do everything in your power to avoid and eliminate them.

like I said earlier, off road racers aren't bought. they're built. if you want a good durable suspension, fab it yourself, or pay someone to fab it right.

Obviously, its your truck and your money. do with it as you will. But just remember, if you don't do it right the first time, you will have to come back to it

Last edited:

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
go to desertrides.com and look under their suspension index. ti will help you look at a bunch of places that offer kits for your truck. Autofab has a good kit for what you want to do. out back in the rear id do some deavers or you can go all out like i am and get the Giant (thats the name of the company) 64" leaf kit, 21 inches of travel off a 16 or 18 inch shock (depends on how you mount the shock). i would find a good coil kit with NO drop brackets and run some shock specifically designed for your truck, you can run 13 inches of travel and still do 60 mph through some good sized whoops, its all on how the shockes are valved so look at king, fox, or sway-a-away to name a few with a resivor on it. you wont really need bypasses unless you really want them

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
Autofab has a great kit. The middle of the road d35 is low bling, but really works good. Its capable of 16inches of travel.It's stock width, and will help keep the over all price down.and best of all for a daily driver is alighnes great.

If you think you need more than the autofab kit, I would suggest caging the truck first.one for safety, two, tall coilover mounts really start taxing the frame with out the frame being tied up in a full cage tip to tip.

Dave at threatmotorsports also dose some good work at really good prices if you want extend and coil overs.Just rember with extend, comes extend axle shafts$300 on the cheap,and fiber glass fenders.300 avg, and then coil overs about 600 over smooth bodys,and a motor cage 500-1000...adds up quick to do it right.

Dont forget to save/have some money for the rear if you plan on really playing at speed.

you have many choices here,the giant 64 inch kit is proably one of the best leaf set up out there, but it also cost.
there are a few diffrent packs from deaver, there is the autofab 2link set up that uses autofab spec national springs, or you can also go direct to national spring for one of thier leaf packs.

the hart of everyting is going to boil down to shocks. for a budget build daily driver, FOA shocks would work great.

just keep this in mind when picking your parts. your shocks are going to be the hart, the suspention is going to be the soul, and if your not carefull when all done, the cage is going to be your ass if you push it to hard.

and most of all, think it over , over all. can you afford it, will you finish it, alot of people get the full tilt boogie kits for the front, but never get to enjoy them cause they blew everything on the front.

in other words unless your rich, stick with something like the autofab middle of the road kit.and keep it simple.....

just so you can get a ideal of the autofab stuff, here is steveG's fullsize bronco, 16inches of travel...http://www.youtube.com/user/steveG23

he use to post here, maybe he still lurks?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Autofab has a great kit. The middle of the road d35 is low bling, but really works good. Its capable of 16inches of travel.It's stock width, and will help keep the over all price down.and best of all for a daily driver is alighnes great.

If you think you need more than the autofab kit, I would suggest caging the truck first.one for safety, two, tall coilover mounts really start taxing the frame with out the frame being tied up in a full cage tip to tip.

Dave at threatmotorsports also dose some good work at really good prices if you want extend and coil overs.Just rember with extend, comes extend axle shafts$300 on the cheap,and fiber glass fenders.300 avg, and then coil overs about 600 over smooth bodys,and a motor cage 500-1000...adds up quick to do it right.

Dont forget to save/have some money for the rear if you plan on really playing at speed.

you have many choices here,the giant 64 inch kit is proably one of the best leaf set up out there, but it also cost.
there are a few diffrent packs from deaver, there is the autofab 2link set up that uses autofab spec national springs, or you can also go direct to national spring for one of thier leaf packs.

the hart of everyting is going to boil down to shocks. for a budget build daily driver, FOA shocks would work great.

just keep this in mind when picking your parts. your shocks are going to be the hart, the suspention is going to be the soul, and if your not carefull when all done, the cage is going to be your ass if you push it to hard.

and most of all, think it over , over all. can you afford it, will you finish it, alot of people get the full tilt boogie kits for the front, but never get to enjoy them cause they blew everything on the front.

in other words unless your rich, stick with something like the autofab middle of the road kit.and keep it simple.....

just so you can get a ideal of the autofab stuff, here is steveG's fullsize bronco, 16inches of travel...http://www.youtube.com/user/steveG23

he use to post here, maybe he still lurks?
:icon_hornsup:

harwood39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK guys, i think i have figured out what im gonna do. I think im goona go with the giant 64" leaf kit, Giant Beam Kit +3 inches, Giant Engine cage, Dixon Bed Cage, Camburg Fiberglass 6" fenders, Camburg Fiberglass 4" bedsides.

What length shocks should i run in the rear with that setup? and what length coil overs for the front?

Also where can i find wheels with 3in less of a back spacing than factory?

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
well if your going to run the giant beams and giant motor cage I would ask geoff what he has them set up to run.taking a guess, Id say ethier a 12 or 14

for the rear is all going to depend on the mounting angle.since your mis matching parts here.

wheels with only a 1.5 of back space, ummm maybe some 80's era dayton gold spokes. on a serious note, why so little back space, that's going to really tax the wheel bearings.

harwood39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
forget the back spacing, i wasnt thinking when i asked that... it will be the same back spacing just wider rims and tires... should have been thinking about that...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals