• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mice chewed 3 vacuum lines inside passenger dash

paulydonuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4.0l fx4
Transmission
Automatic
whats up guys never posted but the website always came in clutch for all my diy work. This one sucks, i just installed a new blend door actuator and noticed a mouse nest deep in the passenger dash. My air always blew on defrost but i didnt have time to find the vaccum leak. Well that little bastard chewed the 3 lines DEEP inside the passanger dash. Can anyone point me into the dirrection as to finding the chewed ends on the other side?

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

They are color coded and can be repaired with snug fitting rubber hose

The white part is called a vacuum manifold and its 2 halves can be separated
Its there from when the truck was assembled at the factory, so the dash panel can be plugged into the HVAC system easily

One half's vacuum hoses go to the Climate Control panel, the one that controls vent selection
The other half's hoses go out to the "vacuum motors" to open and close the doors, and that looks like the ones that were chewed

Just FYI the black hose runs to firewall and out to engine bay, it connects to Vacuum reservoir and engine vacuum
White hose is fresh air vent door AND runs out thru firewall where it changes to Grey hose color for heater bypass valve

As for the repair
Buy some smaller rubber hose(by the foot) that fits snugly over the colored hoses, you can cut a short section of one colored hoses to take into parts shop to get a good fit
Then you need to find the other ends of the colored hoses, which can be a pain

There are just 2 locations for the vacuum motors, one is a dual motor for the yellow and blue hoses
Diagram here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=517&stc=1

No clamps are needed, its Vacuum so pulls hose connections together doesn't push them apart, so even if you can only slide on the rubber hose a bit it will work

Defrost is No Vacuum used, which is why defrost vent is active now

Vacuum motors look like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NU8AAOSwKfFljvNr/s-l1200.webp
Just a spring in a vacuum container that will pull a vent door open/closed when vacuum is applied and the spring pushes it back with no vacuum

Last edited:

paulydonuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4.0l fx4
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to the forum

They are color coded and can be repaired with snug fitting rubber hose
thanks for the quick reply. access to the cut hoses that are deep into the dash was the whole issue. would i see those 3 hoses if i were to pull the control manifold out? my fear was the connections i need to make will be DEEP inside the dash and require serious disassembly on the ranger. speaking of mice im up in NH and we just got a huge ice storm lost power for 2 days. pulled the honda 3500 genny out and wouldn't you know. Mice chewed those wires also. i hate them so much...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here is a diagram for a 2000 Ranger should be approx. the same for 2006: https://www.eastgatefordpartscanada.ca/v-2000-ford-ranger--xl--4-0l-v6-gas/hvac--heater

11 and 12 are the vacuum motors you need to access
13 has the white hose

If memory serves 11 should be just above gas pedal area on the side of the vent box/center console, has the red vacuum line
12 would be on the opposite side of center console with yellow and blue hoses

If you can see the red, yellow or blue hoses you can pull hose out and/or cut it then add the rubber hose between the ends

paulydonuts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4.0l fx4
Transmission
Automatic
absolute legend. just took a look and found the hoses. you got a memory like an 🐘

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals