• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mechanical temp gauge

bimmer325es

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 2.9l
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So i installed a new mechanical temperature gauge, and seems to run around 200-210 degrees when i am driving around, its been a while and i don't remember what they call normal , or what the average is.

Does this seem normal to you guys?

Thanks ,
Ryan

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
They run 195 degree t-stats, 200-210 is about normal. Anymore than that would raise some suspicion; I assume you probably are aware of the head cracking problems.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mechanical temp gauge?
That would be the after market name for a temperature gauge from an auto parts store. The one that comes factory in the dash is merely a switch that is more than likely always wrong and never consistant.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That is right where ya want the temp to run for the best mpg and overall power....and to keep the engine clean.

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mechanical temp gauge?
That's the old style gauge which doesn't require any electric (maybe only if you want the gauge to light up at night). They have a copper line which goes directly into the gauge and on the end it has bulb which goes into the coolant. Those temperatures are a little warm for my taste (get yourself a real warm day sitting in traffic and it's going to overheat). Most of the vehicles I ever owned ran right at the thermostat temperature or a bit bellow. Do you at least see the gauge move up and down as the thermostat opens and closes (usually you will if everything is in good working order)? Also, 195* is a bit high of a t-stat. I usually run 180, but it's a little bit warmer down my way than where some of you guys live.

bimmer325es

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 2.9l
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yes i am aware of the head cracking problem, truck belonged to my dad and he passed away with cancer , i have the truck now and when i first drove it temp gauge was at the top of n in normal. I changed water pump , t stat, dual core radiatior swap, electric fan install with a temperature switch, and a mechanical temp gauge., and 200-210 is running temp i saw, was alittle warm that day and humid.

BillupsOMally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Learn something new everyday. Lol. Even on my 80 yr old tractor the temp gauges are still electrical.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If the cooling system is good and the temp runs where it should then it will not overheat under normal circumstances. A cooler thermostat will just open a little earlier.

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Learn something new everyday. Lol. Even on my 80 yr old tractor the temp gauges are still electrical.
It's probably been changed out at some point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals