• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mechanical Shifter Linkage

Jonald

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Short story = I'm looking for mechanical linkage or enough photos and measurement to fabricate one.

Longer story...

I have a new to me 1992 Ranger with the electric t-caseshift. I bought it know the seller had purchased- and installed a new control module and 4x4 shift motor but was unsuccessful in getting the 4x4 to work.

My first move was to perform the self test on the new (ebay bench tested) control module, which indicated the module was fine. I rang out the 5 and 8 pin cables while I was there and everything checks out. So... I plugged everything in, turned the key to run, and pushed the 4x4 button. Success!! I have just resolved the problem for free.

Wanting to verify, I headed for a gravel parking lot, locked the hubs, and pushed the 4x4 button. It was definitely in 4x4. The next move was obviously to push the Low button. This resulted in it shifting back to 4x2 (not engaging low range). I tried it a few times with the same results. Pushing Low definitely disengages 4x4.

Now, curious about the original control module, I went home and swapped to the original module, performed the self test, and found that it performed exactly the same as the newer module.

OK. Good enough for now until I diagnose the problem, right? I can get into the woods and do my thing, I just wont have low range (for now - it does have 4.56:1 diffs).

Next free upgrade... I have a Sony stereo with bluetooth I've been storing for a few years that was previously in an F350 (should have the same factory plug). So I pulled off the dash, disconnected the 4x4 switch, found that the aftermarket stereo was installed by cutting the factory plug off (ARGH!!!). I don't have the time to cram my hands back in the dash and splice in the Sony connector for the moment, so I put it all back together.

Now it doesn't shift into 4x4 but the switch and module still check out. It could be the shifter motor, but since it is brand new I suspect the transfer case is binding up, making the control module switch back to 4x2.

I would rather have a mechanical shift t-case and they seem to be available cheap enough. Rebuild kits are also available and cheap enough, so it seems like the obvious choice for moving forward. Why rebuild the electric shift case if the same effort and a little cash gets me a mechanical shift? The problem is, the parts yards that have the t-cases, don't have the linkage. I found one on ebay, but it was expensive and looked like junk.

So... Does anyone have a linkage setup they can part with or enough photos and measurements to build something from? There seem to be linkages for full size Fords, but I can't find anything that indicates if they fit Rangers or can be made to fit.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Where in Oregon? If around Portland wait a month or so until the Sherwood yard gets repopulated with rigs, there's bound to be a '90-97 Ranger with a manual T case in the near future, I've seen them in the yard off of Foster too, keep an eye out on their online inventory...

I work 5 miles from the Sherwood yard, it might be possible for me to pull a linkage and get it to you... not to mention Memorial day will be 40-50% off...

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Can a 1st Gen mechanical shifter be used?

Jonald

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Where in Oregon? If around Portland wait a month or so until the Sherwood yard gets repopulated with rigs, there's bound to be a '90-97 Ranger with a manual T case in the near future, I've seen them in the yard off of Foster too, keep an eye out on their online inventory...

I work 5 miles from the Sherwood yard, it might be possible for me to pull a linkage and get it to you... not to mention Memorial day will be 40-50% off...
I'm in Corvallis, but I get to Portland every once in a while.

I might be able to wait until Memorial day, but I'm hoping to get ready for my annual solitude trip. I like to go in May, but it's not the end of the world if it's later. Just more risk of closure for fire danger and more mosquitos. Done right is better than done fast.

Jonald

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Can a 1st Gen mechanical shifter be used?
I'm pretty sure it can. The linkage should be the same for BW1350 and BW1354. Mine is the 1354.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Junk yard is the best way; however, I have seen a linkage cut from simple plate and and a single bolt in the middle. It was kind of a boomerang shape with a pivot point near the outer edge of middle and a slot to fit around the short lever on the transfer case. I'm still looking for a picture. Will edit this post if I find it...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you can't find one in time and really need one, I do have a spare I could be talked out of if you find a replacement at some time...

Just drove through Corvallis twice last weekend on my trip to Florence... Down there I'm sure B&R only has what they have on the shelf, 20 years ago I used to go in there, their prices were high but didn't they go to only them pulling parts? Theres a yard in Turner that isn't near as far from you that is pretty decent, been a few years since I've been there though, don't think they have online inventory like pick n pull...

Jonald

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a few more yards to check out that don’t put their inventory online. I started at B&R. They have a 1350 in stock, but no linkage. I looked through the carcasses and didn‘t find anything.

Can you take a couple of pics with some dimensions showing center to center pivot point in relation to mounting holes, t-case end, and shifter mount, offsets… that i could use to compare a full size linkage. I can either make one or modify one.

Of course, if you want to sell what you have, send me a price.

Thanks,

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Whoever has one please post pics. Include measurements if possible.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Do these help? The linkage is pretty different from the full size linkage in that the pivot bolt is in the transmission instead of on the linkage if I remember right... it's been a bit since I had the linkage on the 4406 or 4407 off that I've dealt with... I wasn't really paying attention, I could compare against the 4406 linkage tomorrow as there's one sitting a foot from where the 1354 linkage was... Didn't think of getting a pic of the shift gate with the yard stick, could get one of those tomorrow with a distance from the pivot to the gate...

20240330_212332.jpg
20240330_212342.jpg

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do these help? The linkage is pretty different from the full size linkage in that the pivot bolt is in the transmission instead of on the linkage if I remember right... it's been a bit since I had the linkage on the 4406 or 4407 off that I've dealt with... I wasn't really paying attention, I could compare against the 4406 linkage tomorrow as there's one sitting a foot from where the 1354 linkage was... Didn't think of getting a pic of the shift gate with the yard stick, could get one of those tomorrow with a distance from the pivot to the gate...

View attachment 108329View attachment 108330
If it isn't too much trouble, more pics is better. And exactly what they came off of/what they fit.
You're awesome!
Thanks.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It was off a '90 or '91 Ranger with 2.9, pretty sure all linkages for a 1354 are the same between the A4LD and M5OD, it was just the 1350 that had like 5...

We'll see about more pics, might be tonight or tomorrow night...

Jonald

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Very helpful. Thank you.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, I took some more pics this morning before I got too distracted, it's the stuff that made the most sense to me at the time... I tried to get some distance so the distortion of the camera lens wouldn't be too bad. It's in the low range position in the gate in case there's any confusion

20240331_100440.jpg
20240331_100451.jpg
20240331_100520.jpg
20240331_100548.jpg

Jonald

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Much appreciated. I can see the function and dimensions I need. Thanks!!

I have a friend picking up my $75 mechanical shift transfer case this week. If I don't find a shifter, I can make one from these photos.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals