• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Maybe boosting a 2.5

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I’m looking into possibly boosting the 2.5l I have in my 85 ranger. I’ve never boosted anything before so I’m looking to have a couple questions answered before I start to open a can of worms I don’t want to.
The goal here is to go with a low boost setup (~5psi) to get those few extra ponies I need from time to time.

Current setup is an 85 ranger prerunner with a stock 2.5l out of a 99 ranger running on the stock 99 eecv I don’t recall the fuel pump specs off the top of my head but it’s an aeromotive stealth series pump with an aeromotive style knock off regulator.

Can I boost this 2.5 without doing any other mods and have it run correctly. I imagine I may need different injectors but I’m more concerned about if the stock eec with be able to compensate and maintain a low boost application.

Throw some knowledge at me. If it can be done as I’ve described, what parts would need to be changed out, (injectors, maf etc)?

Thank you.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don't know enough to give you any helpful tips but there has been a few that have 2.3 Lima engines that have turbos or they installed turbos on them. The 2.5 Lima is either a bored or stroked 2.3 Lima (I can't remember which). So, whatever works with them should work with the 2.5. Some parts made for a 2.3 will fit on a 2.5 as well. It might be worth your while to check out some of those threads.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know enough to give you any helpful tips but there has been a few that have 2.3 Lima engines that have turbos or they installed turbos on them. The 2.5 Lima is either a bored or stroked 2.3 Lima (I can't remember which). So, whatever works with them should work with the 2.5. Some parts made for a 2.3 will fit on a 2.5 as well. It might be worth your while to check out some of those threads.

I have a buddy with a turbo setup he’ll let go for cheap so I’d really just need the manifold to bolt it on which I believe the 2.3 and 2.5 are the same there. I just don’t want to have to go down the tuning/ecu road as that’s out of my wheel house. But if the stock eec will reliably compensate for low boost and I maybe have to change a few parts out that makes it much more approachable and financially effective for me to squeeze another maybe 30 or 40 horse out of her. Otherwise the option is to do a full turbo build and then it just makes more financial sense to put in a 302 or even a junkyard gm 4.3.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have a buddy with a turbo setup he’ll let go for cheap so I’d really just need the manifold to bolt it on which I believe the 2.3 and 2.5 are the same there. I just don’t want to have to go down the tuning/ecu road as that’s out of my wheel house. But if the stock eec will reliably compensate for low boost and I maybe have to change a few parts out that makes it much more approachable and financially effective for me to squeeze another maybe 30 or 40 horse out of her. Otherwise the option is to do a full turbo build and then it just makes more financial sense to put in a 302 or even a junkyard gm 4.3.
I believe you are correct on the intake manifold.

As far as the rest, I'll have to refer you to any threads involving installing a turbo on their 2 3, 2.5, or installing an already turbo equipped engine from another Ford vehicle.

Hopefully, one or some of the people who did it are still active and can provide some insight. I don't know of any off hand in order to tag them and highlight your post.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The 2.5 uses the same exhaust flange as the other Lima's so that part is fine.

The main drawback to the 2.5 is the Hypereutectic pistons and powder metal rods that are lighter built than the standard Lima stuff... that said if you stick to the 5psi limit with a wastegate controller of some form (from what I hear blowoff valves and MAF engines don't mix well) and go with one size bigger injectors you will likely be ok

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The 2.5 uses the same exhaust flange as the other Lima's so that part is fine.

The main drawback to the 2.5 is the Hypereutectic pistons and powder metal rods that are lighter built than the standard Lima stuff... that said if you stick to the 5psi limit with a wastegate controller of some form (from what I hear blowoff valves and MAF engines don't mix well) and go with one size bigger injectors you will likely be ok
Blowoff valves serve a different purpose than a wastegate, but aren't exactly necessary. A 100% recirc valve would be ideal for a MAF setup.. but running a BOV shouldn't cause actual problems. youd get some super amusing *pop-crackle-bang*s while shifting and a bit of soot on the body around the exhaust as a byproduct of said extra noise.. but thats about it on a reasonable tune. I ran an adjustable BOV on my old outback.. had it set to dump about 25% to atmosphere and recirc the rest. Gave me a good balance of WHOOSH and exhaust crackles without any discernable soot on the bumper or dogginess when getting back into the throttle.

Whenever I get around to putting turbos on something else I'm not gonna bother with a recirc/bov at all.. as I'll always be a child at heart and compressor surge sounds AWESOME!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals