• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Master Cylinder went...again

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed the other day that my master cylinder was leaking down the booster. I just had it replaced in september, and it had less than 7000Miles on it.

I have been having brake issues with this truck for the last few years, and honestly, I am getting tired of it. I took the truck in twice, because the pedal would goto the floor at one stop and I would put my head through the window just tapping the pedal at the next!...They claim they couldn't find anything wrong.

Anyhow, the damn thing was 3 weeks out of warantee...I got the shop to cover that, and I have to get about half of the labor...remember, I abosutely HATE having other people work on my truck, but when it's warantied work, I might as well.

Is it just me, or are we geting more and more crappy NEW parts these days?

RangeRunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
79 351 W - 4BC
Transmission
Manual
What kind of MC's are you purchasing? and if they arnt installed properly i think it can lead to extra wear and tear in the long run

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
There is a certain procedure to bleed the master cylinder properly. Maybe the shop doesn't know this?

michowski

Reaction score
Dont get cheap autozone crap. Right now the only places I will buy parts from is Napa, or anyplace that sells cardone remans. Cardone happens to be the leader in reman parts. Highest quality and a very very rare thing to have one not work as if it were brand new from ford. Im not sure where napa gets there reman parts from but ive never had a problem with them. Autozone, pep boys, o"reilly's, there all crap.

RangeRunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
79 351 W - 4BC
Transmission
Manual
Id say that if the master cylinder wasnt properly bench bled that air in MC itself could lead to some extra wear. The brake fluid acts as a lubricant too for any seals inside im pretty sure. Maybe try a different kind of MC too. Could the D.O.T have anything to do with it? i know you need certain kinds and maybe they arnt using it and its bypassing the cylinders inside your MC. Im no brake expert but thats maybe something to look into?
http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The MC Is from Napa, and I have gotten plenty of bad parts from them before, which I why I don't generally go there anymore. Oh, and they claimed that the upper control arm on a 98 2wd is the same as a 4wd (it isn't).

The work was done by a brake shop, and given the number of Fords out there that need to be bench bled, i think they know how to do that.

I run DOT3 in it, which is what my book says to use.

We will see how this one does.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dont get cheap autozone crap. Right now the only places I will buy parts from is Napa, or anyplace that sells cardone remans. Cardone happens to be the leader in reman parts. Highest quality and a very very rare thing to have one not work as if it were brand new from ford. Im not sure where napa gets there reman parts from but ive never had a problem with them. Autozone, pep boys, o"reilly's, there all crap.

u are aware that all of oreily's/aap and shit like that are cardones right???

michowski

Reaction score
No im not cuz I was told different about em.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, i worked at advance auto for too long, and i sold mroe cardone parts then anything else ever, and advance auto and oriely are the same company IIRC

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals