• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual to Auto swap

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
I did search, but could only find information on people doing the opposite of this. I am getting kind of tired of shifting, and my transmission is getting a little harder to shift as well. I'd like to put in an automatic with a shift kit.

I have done an auto to T56 swap for my buddy in his Camaro, but I'm still a little unsure about doing this. I realize that I would need a new PCM, but does the transmission have its own wiring harness? Can that harness be added to my OEM harness? I know I'm capable of physically swapping the transmissions, but I want to learn as much as I can about making it all work like its supposed to.

I remember in the Camaro, I had to change the pedal assembaly, and do some rewiring to make the neutral safety switch and reverse lights and stuff work, but it wasn't a major deal.

If anyone has any advice or could point me in the right place I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Joey

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
you have an awesome oportunity. Just find another TRS'er in the birmingham area that wants a manual and you can both swap out. between teh two trucks you should have everything you both need to get it done.

AJ

johnboathotrod84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
manual to auto swap

I too am interested in this topic. I had a 86' ranger with a manual trans and I came across a bronco II of the same year for cheap without an engine. Well wouldn't you know i manage to destroy the transmission in the ranger so I put the little 2.9l in the bronco. Now I can get the engine to idle fine but when I shift it into gear it will not accelerate and I can get it to only go about 15 mph. It seems to be shifting fine it just refuses to do anything but chug along. I replaced the ECU/ECM with one for an automatic but i cant seem to figure out the problem. Where did I go wrong? Also i replaced the tfi sensor and distributor/plug wires.

Last edited:

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you have an awesome oportunity. Just find another TRS'er in the birmingham area that wants a manual and you can both swap out. between teh two trucks you should have everything you both need to get it done.

AJ
EXACTLY! The hard part in doing that is finding someone thats looking to swap their manual for an auto. But since you are that person then it should be really easy to find someone to swap with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals