• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mail trucks

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I was working today and I was staring at a mail truck (the kind that looks like a tiny ups truck) across an intersection, when I noticed that the front suspension looks very much like the suspension on my ranger. So the next time i saw one parked while I was delivering, I took a quick glance under it, and sure enough, it seems to be on a ranger chassis (or more likely an explorer frame, based on the wheelbase). Has anyone else noticed this? I want one now. Three words: Baja Mail Truck.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2 words "Do It"

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yeah, they are built on a 2wd explorer frame. good eye though! i think maybe AllanD can chime in on this....

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are a lesser number of new-generation postal delivery trucks that were built around 1999-2001 called CRV (Carrier Route vehicles) trucks, or also commonly known as FFV (Flex Fuel vehicles). Bodies were built by Utilimaster in Indiana (not far from South Bend/Elkhart) utilizing basically an aussie-spec righthand drive Ford Explorer chassis and a 4 cylinder motor designed to run on either gasoline or pure ethanol (hence the "flex fuel" designation). I think about 70-80,000 of these were built. Typically you see these FFV vehicles in denser urban areas (most went to Florida, Cali, east coast, Texas). A few even wound up in Hawaii and Alaska from what I remember. Utilimaster also builds a lot of FedEx Express' and also laundry service and bakery/snack delivery vans as well. Anyway, probably more than most of you wanted to know, but it's coming from someone who was on the inside at one time.
found that here
http://http://www.kia-forums.com/other-cars/31873-white-us-mail-trucks-2.html

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

someone start photoshopping, haha

it needs fiberglass flares (to cover the dixon bros suspension, of course) 33"s, a tube bumper, and some roof mounted lights

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I heard they were based on S10s and used the same 2.2. :dunno:

1986 - 1995 Grumman LLV (Long Life Vehicle)

Grumman LLV

This is the most successful small stepvan 150,000 vehicles were made for Postal Services, in the United States, Canada, Mexico, South, and Central America, and the Philippians. It has a small turning diameter, is the correct size, aluminum body on Chevy S-10 chassis, RHD, but has a gasoline engine and ONLY gets 15 mpg. The LLV would be perfect if it was a low floor aluminum unibody vehicle that got 35 mpg on green or fossil fuel.
http://www.llv.com/history.php

Randy960

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, we have those around too, but the one i posted a pic of is the type I'm talking about

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We have the RBV mail trucks around here. I didn't realize they were powered by 4 bangers. For some reason I always thought they were powered by 3.0 V6's.

leserz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 F150
4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had one think it was a 76? the small ones that look like a jeep. used it as a daily driver 8 gal gas tank can't go to far. i had the AMC 6 in mine 232 i think . with a torque flite trans seen one with a Audi diesel in it . think i paid $350 for it at a postal maintenance shop that was down the street that was by chicago froze my ass off it in the winter weather stripping was shot the heater was ok for 30 mph or less and above 35* had a buddy buy one he used shag carpeting in his you could cook a turkey in his. drove the heck out of it for two years sold it for $100.00 more than i paid for it. funny thing about it steered better the faster you drove it. took your life in your own hands driving it more than 55 mph they were not designed to go that fast just stop and go 30 mph or so.

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Make / Model
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
Transmission
Manual
explorer sport frame was used and they did come in 4x4

Quiksurf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
postal explorers

we have the postal explorers come into the shop at work all the ones i have seen are 4.0 sohc motors 2wd rh drive automatics

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals