• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MAF sensor

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So im going to pull the MAF sensor on my 92 ranger tonight and clean it the best i can. I bought MAF cleaner from autozoo and the correct torque bit that I need. From my understanding your supposed to spray the cleaner on the q tip and gently clean the "wires".Is this correct? if so can i just spray the sensor down so i dont have to worry about acidently being to rough? any added details on cleaning this thing would be greatly appreciated

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would not wipe it down, just use the spray & clean it thoroughly, let it air dry for a couple minutes & install. I clean mine about every 3 to 4 months, seems to help on smoothing the idle at times.

JP02XLT

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The sensor is pretty sturdy and I use a Q-tip to clean mine and I haven't had any problems.

gregorys1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the help. I just sprayed the sensor down throughly. Didnt seem to help much though. Im going to clean the IAC and replace the fuel filter within the next couple weeks. The idle is not that bad i just want it to be a bit more clean. In park it is barely noticiable and the problem tends to pick up when i put the truck in gear and let it idle. any sugestions? it also seems to chug for gas every now and then on the freeway ocasionally, but only for a moment.:icon_confused:

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
DPFE sensors are known to go bad on the 3.0 and when they do the engine will run rough - after replacing the fuel filter that's the next place I would look.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
He may not have a DPFE sensor. My FSM only shows DPFE for the 2.3L, but he may have a slightly leaking EGR. Usually fuel filter restriction will not affect idle. If idle is poor in D but OK in P/N then I'd check idle rpm to see if it stays constant when put into gear. If not the IAC valve just may need cleaning. If no vac leaks then maybe dirty injector assuming plugs and wires are OK.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Another really quick check of the IAC valve is to turn the AC on & listen for the idle to increase as it should, It may not tell you its entirely functioning correctly, but I have seen several IAC's that wont move at all and this is a very easy trial.

I don't think the 92 3.0's had a DPFE either, that sensor can be a real pain in the butt.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals