• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D Weird Noise

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Recently swapped my noisy fm132 with a m50d that the guy was unsure of the condition. Opened it up and everything inside looked brand new. Installing it, when putting the fluid in, I noticed metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug. Took it around the block and noticed that 3rd, 4th and 5th made noise but only at certain RPMs. For example anything above 2500rpm in 3rd makes no noise. Anyone know what it could be or am I just hearing engine noise? I figure if it's a bearing it will make noise at any speed in any gear expect 4th, but 4th seems the loudest. The noise kinda sounds like a grinding noise but every gear shifts smoothly. Thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Metallic goop on the drain plug is more or less normal... every manual trans I've drained has at least some on the plug, others have a lot. As long as there are no big chunks and/or the fluid isn't chunky or sludge, it's simply not an issue.

The noise could be and probably is a bearing. I'd just go with it and see if it gets any worse, you knew it was an uncertain deal going into it... nothing to lose now, really, unless you want to take it out and rebuild at this point. Bearings will last quite a while even with some wear as long as they have adequate lube.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How was the pilot bearing when you put the new transmission in?

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The entire clutch system was replaced and when in gear out of the truck, all the bearings seemed to feel like glass

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Is it like a metallic rattling noise?

If so, it could be a weld on one of the heat shields on your exhaust popped loose and is rattling.

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Honestly this might sound stupid but the noise sounds like it's coming out of the shifter. It sounds more like a vibration than a grinding noise. It's pretty quiet but its just annoying to listen to

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sound will travel all the way through the drivetrain and up into the shifter.

Have you checked the u-joints on the driveshaft?

If it's 4 wheel drive check the transfer case output bearing. Those are notorious for vibration and noise.

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2wd extended cab, did one of the u joints when I did the swap. I know my cat heat shields rattled but I wrapped them in mechanics wire real tight so I don't think they would rattle. The manifold heat shields seemed tight but not to sure how to check if they're not.

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: talked to another mechanic and he thought it was the gears in the rear end not meshing probably. This got me thinking, before the trans swap, in 4th gear the truck had not vibration at all. The only 2 things that are now different are the transmission and drive shaft. Since it sounds like a vibration, is it possible I got a crappy drive shaft from the wreakers? It only makes the vibration at certain RPMs/speeds and only when your accelerating

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's totally possible, you could take the driveshaft into a shop and have it balanced and checked for wear or just get another shaft from the junkyard.

Needles929

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Update: talked to another mechanic and he thought it was the gears in the rear end not meshing probably. This got me thinking, before the trans swap, in 4th gear the truck had not vibration at all. The only 2 things that are now different are the transmission and drive shaft. Since it sounds like a vibration, is it possible I got a crappy drive shaft from the wreakers? It only makes the vibration at certain RPMs/speeds and only when your accelerating
Following this. I have kind of wondered about a similar sound that I get also. Please update us with info when you figure it out.

I get a slight sound that seems to be more prominent in 4th as well. It almost sounds like a vacuum hiss coming straight from under the boot and console for the shifter. Fluid looked great and the magnetic plug had very little metal on it.

Needles929

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Fixed!

Mine was the shifter being loose. Took off the plastic console and boot. Cleaned and tightened the shifter plate bolts (3 Torx)
Tightened also the bolt with the jam nut.

That was quite a bit of vibration noise from something so simple.:headbang:

steveoelo

Mighty Canuck
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right on! Mine ended up being the axle bearings

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I saw a driveshaft balance vibration posting not to long ago. You can put one or a few hose clamps on the driveshaft. Drive is ara around then loosen up the clamp and rotate it. Do this until there is no more vibration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals