• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

m50d-r1 trans on 302?

tandangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am going to be putting a 302 from an early 80's mustang in my 94' ranger 4x4. I noticed that they make an adapter to mount my m50d-r1 trans to the 302. I know it is not recomended because of torque, but would it hold up under normal driving conditions? I don't want to have to find a new trans and trans case setup at this point. That will be in my future plans when I have the time and money.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
You're going to hate me, but I wouldn't do it. The torque would twist it up quick. You'll need a really good clutch. And if you drive it easy so it lives... then whats the point of upgrading from a 4.0L to a 5.0L? 4X4 F150s with a 300ci sixxer or some 302ci V8s came with an M5OD-R2. This will bolt to your 5.0L and should provide more security-but they're still not bullet proof.

tandangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I supose I should find a m50d-r2 then. Everyone I ask tells me that same thing. I am just a little stubborn I guess. As for the normal driving, I just meant anything other than racing. Thanks.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I noticed that they make an adapter to mount my m50d-r1 trans to the 302. I know it is not recomended because of torque, but would it hold up under normal driving conditions? I don't want to have to find a new trans and trans case setup at this point. That will be in my future plans when I have the time and money.

yeah ..... thats not a good Idea ........ M5ODr2 much better choice.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I supose I should find a m50d-r2 then. Everyone I ask tells me that same thing. I am just a little stubborn I guess. As for the normal driving, I just meant anything other than racing. Thanks.
You can go ahead and do it. But..................................in the end, you'll have spent the money for the adapter and clutch to use it, then at some point in time, you WILL break the R1. Then you'll be either looking for another to replace it, or buying the correct transmission that will handle the V8's torque. It's your time and money.

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I agree that the R1 would be a mistake behind a 302. The R2 would be adequate if driven sensibly with a mild 5.0L.

If you do decide to go with the R2, there are a couple more things to think about.

1) The R2 4x4 trans has a six bolt flange on the extension housing and a larger output shaft that will not bolt to a Ranger t-case. A full size t-case like a BW1356, 4406 or 4407 will bolt up to the R2 but would require altered driveshaft lengths front and rear and might have clearance issues at the driver side frame rail and/or fuel tank.

2) The 96 and earlier R2 that was used in F150/250/Bronco 4.9/5.0 has a shifter stub position that is several inches forward of where the factory Ranger shifter lives. Not ideal.

The 97~03 R2 used behind the 4.2L V6 in the F150 would have a much better shifter position in a Ranger. It also has the same bellhousing pattern as a 4.9/5.0/5.8 but the metric-sized holes need to be drilled very slightly to allow the 7/16-14 small block bolts to pass through. An easy 2 minute mod.

Last edited:

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
So will the Ranger transfer case fit the 97-03 R2 ?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals