• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering '99 SuperCab questions... Newb!

slingshot

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Getting ready to drop my '99 ext cab... thinking 4"/4" as it sits pretty level right now--front end is pretty high. Thinking about the DJM 4/5 kit with the Bell Tech shackles to bring it back up 1" in the rear. I have a few questions.
First, if I still intend to do some light hauling/towing (nothing heavy, maybe a ATV or tow a light utility trailer) do I need to notch the frame? Second, what shocks? DJM? Doetsh (sp) Nitro Slammers? Other? Third, will I need a custom transmission crossmember for clearance with this drop? I will occasioanally venture down some dirt roads with my ATV and trailer... Lastly, what 17" Mustang wheel will fit best with my planned drop and my hubs/fenders? Mach One? '99 Cobra? '95 Cobra R? I want something that will fill the wheelwells without rubbing and hopefully without a big spacer to clear the hubs on the front.
I know--lots of questions, I've been lurking for a while... driving my Ranger for a few months and fixing all the little maintenance things. It's coming along nicely and really starting to look good. About ready to take the plunge and drop it... Thanks for any tips!

Brett06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1st a bolt in notch is recomended, 2nd NITRO SLAMMERS, 3rd you should be fine. In my opinion i wouldnt get the shackles at first; find out what it looks like without the shackles because any drop is not an exact measurement, it may sit different than the calculations predict. Im not sure about wheels. Check out http://www.illusivefabrications.com/html/index.php he is a trs sponsor and should have everything you need at probly the best price you can find

Brett06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
o yea and for hauling a load you could get some airshocks or load bags to lift the rear when ur haulin heavy

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yea DJM 4/5 drop with Doetsch Nitro Slammers is a killer combination, I sell tons of those packages, As for a bolt in notch I would not use one with an 98+ extended cab because, when the frame hits the axle the driveshaft is extremely close the the bottom of the cab you should'nt really need it with a 5" rear drop, but any lower I would recommend one. And doing so you may need to clear the crossmember under the cab as well as the extended cab portion of the floor. And thanks for posting up the IDF link.

Brett06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
o yea i totally forgot about it being ext cab, haha oops, and no prob for the link

slingshot

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Will I have any trouble aligning the front after the 4" drop install? Anything special needed?

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, you should be just fine with a 4" drop as long as you do upper and lower control arms!

slingshot

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Things are moving along... drove to San Angelo Saturday and picked up a set of mint condition chrome '03 Cobra 17x9 rims that I found on svtperformance.com for what I think is a good price of $300. Will be ordering 245/45 (front) and 275/40 (rear) Sumitomo's this week. Took the truck to the body shop this morning to have the peeling paint (seems to be a common problem with the aluminum hoods) refinished and the busted grill/dented front bumper replaced. Will be calling Brian at Illusive and ordering my JDM 4/5 drop kit and Doetcsh shocks this week too... This is getting fun.

Brett06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
glad to see it coming along, and yea u deff got a good price on those cobras. buuuuuut....... WE NEED PICS!!!!!

sacredauto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
none...currently
Transmission
Automatic
i have the 4/5 drop on mine. i didn't take the bumpstops off because i really didn't feel like hurting anything because the roads here are shit. rides rough now.. or, did. as soon as it runs again, i'm notching the back and cutting a new driveshaft tunnel so i can get it a little lower

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals