• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Low bottom end power?

Red beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The acceleration in my truck just isnt there. Even when im starting off into first gear from a stop there is hesitation like it wants to die when i let out the clutch. It runs well after i get it up to speed but the bottom end just straight up sucks. Up hill is next to embarassing. What do i check? Where do i start? 95 4.0 4x4 5 speed 31s. I bought a 4.0 ranger just because i wanted the power. Any advice is appreciated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Gear ratio? When was your last tuneup?

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
power

The list is long, any thing from low compression, to a cat that may be starting to go bad, egr system, its a lot of things, whats the mileage, have you checked to to see that the check engine light functions when you turn the key to the on postion, if not then start there cause there may be codes stored that you are not aware of if the light doesnt work,take it to an auto supply house that does free scans see if there is any stored codes, alway checking connections is a good start, and free, and if it hasnt been maintained that could be a cause, like plugged air filter, bad wires, and so on

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check vacuum trees, clean maf sensor. Those were 2 of the simple things that were really kicking my truck's ___. A failing vac line can do a lot, it was like putting a motor back inside the engine bay when I got it fixed.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16

Red beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My gearing is 3.73. I have done all the tune up stuff other than change the plugs. I was told they were changed right before i bought the truck in march. This truck has ran the same since i have owned it. Its not a story of ran great then lost power. It has 250000 on it but it has been well taken care of. Previous owner did alot of work to it. I have cleaned vacuum trees. Changed ALL fluids. Replaced some things and have a serviceable air filter. Thate trans and clutch were rebuilt a short time before i bought the truck.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Check your plugs. Gaps should be .054" It's simple and you're relying on someone else's word that they're good. Bad gaps will cause miss/hesitation under load but smooth oit as RPM's get higher. Use Motorcraft.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Check the compression while you have the plugs out, (and ditto on the motorcraft plugs.) throttle wide open, warm or cold the difference will be small, I bet your at about 110 to 115 psi with the miles that are on it, compression is power

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Mine used to do the little "skip" taking off from a stop light in first as I let the clutch out too. Feels like you're hitting a little slick spot with the back tires. I'm telling you man, check those plugs! I'd almost bet a good set of properly gapped Motorcraft plugs will cure your ills.

Red beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What should compression be in a healthy engine? Im going to Take advice on the plugs. Which plugs from motorcraft are best? There are like 3 different ones auto zone carries. Platinum, iridium, and the oems.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I'll be using the Platinum plugs. SP-500 I think. Rockauto.com has them for less than AZ.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals