• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loss of power Steering After new pump. 1990 Bronco ii 2.9

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
Old pump was leaking and whining so I replaced it. Installed new pump and tried to bleed the system with the car off and the fluid level didn't go down. So I kept turning it then decided to start the car to see if that helped, still no fluid movement. Tried to drive the car and had zero power steering so it was hard to turn the wheel. All lines and parts are free of leaks. What could it be? Is the new pump completely useless or am I haha? Or could it be the gearbox has some clog? Both lines were also replaced. Gearbox is rebuilt.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Old pump was leaking and whining so I replaced it. Installed new pump and tried to bleed the system with the car off and the fluid level didn't go down. So I kept turning it then decided to start the car to see if that helped, still no fluid movement. Tried to drive the car and had zero power steering so it was hard to turn the wheel. All lines and parts are free of leaks. What could it be? Is the new pump completely useless or am I haha? Or could it be the gearbox has some clog? Both lines were also replaced. Gearbox is rebuilt.
You got the pully completly down on the shaft right? As in the pully is spinning the shaft?

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
You got the pully completly down on the shaft right? As in the pully is spinning the shaft?
I'll go double check but I made sure the pulley was as far down as it would go with the installer. The installer bottomed out so I assumed it was good. I will report back. I'll also make sure the high pressure line isn't clogged just in case. After that I suppose I'll have to pull the pump apart and/or order a new one

A4LD_Nghtme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT 4
Transmission
Automatic
High pressure line isn't clogged nor is the lp flex line. The pulley is spinning the shaft. And with lines disconnected the gearbox is creating a gurgle when I turn the wheel so I assume the the gearbox is the culprit. Must be the pump?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
High pressure line isn't clogged nor is the lp flex line. The pulley is spinning the shaft. And with lines disconnected the gearbox is creating a gurgle when I turn the wheel so I assume the the gearbox is the culprit. Must be the pump?
I would assume so. Where did you buy the pump? What brand?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals