• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking For Low Dust Pads

Milton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2009 Mazda B2300
35,000 miles
Daily driver urban traffic

Front brakes starting to squeal. Pulled the front wheels to inspect:

Left: pad has 3-4 mm left. Rotors look good. No leaks

Right: unable to pull the wheel. The aluminum wheel is fused to it's mounting surface. Rotor looks good. No leaks.

So the first item is a recommendation for some low dust pads. I am sick and tired of cleaning those front wheels.

Second item, the front right wheel. I'm thinking of driving to a parking lot, loosening the lug nuts a little and then slowly driving around until it breaks loose. I would then retorque and drive home. Any other ideas to break that wheel free? Any suggestions to keep it from happening?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Use some copper or zinc no-sieze on the face of the rotor where the aluminum wheel touches.
Sorry, I don't have any advice on the removal other than judicious use of a BFH.
Good luck,

Richard

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Take all the nuts off that wheel, put one on just a few turns. Find something long and heavy, I have a 10lb sledge. Whack the f**k out of it, making sure to hit the tire and not the wheel. The wheel will break if hit.

As for pads, Wagner Thermoquiets. Or any ceramic pads.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hit the rim not the tire the tire will absorb the impact. I have never had an aluminum wheel break on me from hitting it with a hammer to get it off the hub. Just use some common sense and hit it lightly all the way around the wheel and not just bash one spot.

What is going on is called galvanic corrosion (two different metals in contact with each other in a corrosive environment), So when you get the wheel off take some sandpaper and sand down to clean metal on the hub where the center hole of the wheel sits. Then clean the wheel off on the back side and the center hole to good clean metal then you can put some anti-seize on the indexing ring on the hub but do not get it on the studs.

As far as the brakes go get some ceramic pads they are low dust but be advised that ceramic pads do not withstand the heat as well as metallic or organic pads do. FYI they do make a shield just for the purpose of keeping dust off of the wheels it goes in between the wheel and hub. Since it seals off the outside of the wheel no brake dust can get there.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I use O'Reilly's "top tier" brake pads. They are good, low dust, quiet, and perform well under hard braking, IMO.

As far as removal, I agree with Urban AND Broke. I will fiercely kick my tires to knock it off of the hub. I also use my heavy polyurethane mallet (metal on metal = bad) on the rim itself. This usually does it. Really, just knock it off somehow.

If you prefer to use a small metal sledge, use a block of wood inbetween the sledge and the aluminum wheel. Still get the shock hit, but none of the damage that could result from it.

And you CAN damage the aluminum alloy (or even steel) rim by hitting it directly with a hammer. Breaking off a piece of the lip, denting it, or other damage can occur. It just depends on your situation. It is possible.

Milton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Decided on these from Pep Boys since I got a 20% discount coupon.

WAGNER ThermoQuiet Brake Pads - Ceramic
Part #: QC833 SKU: 9859982

For the wheel fused to the rotor issue:
- I backed the lug nuts off 1.5 turns. Drove back 10 feet and hit the brakes. Drove forward 10 feet and hit the brakes. Jacked it up and the wheel was loose. Retorqued the nuts, all ready for the brake work.
- I'll take a wire wheel to both rotors and wheels to remove the rust.
- I'll apply antiseize when I remount the wheels.

Thanks everyone!

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
When I get a stuck wheel I usually loosen it then stick a piece of wood between the rim and the frame and use the power steering to force it off.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The hubcentric rims on my F-150 have stuck on me a couple times. I back up to it with the nuts off and "mule kick" it. It has always gotten them off so far, sometimes you have to really let it have it thoug. :icon_thumby:

Since I have started rotating tires with every oil change when I got this last set of tires a few years ago I haven't had one stick on me.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals