• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lookin at a 2003 Ranger

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm lookin online, and found a 2003 Ford Ranger XLT on Carmax. I know what you guys think of carmax, but leave those thoughts somewhere else, not here. Now it says its an FX4 Level II, but it says XLT... Which is it? I think (not sure) that early FX4's were XLT's but now they are separate trims?

Its got 84K miles on a 4.0L thats not too bad right?

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
ya, they have both badges. as for 2002 and 2003, all FX4s and level II were XLT.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
thats what I thought.

just checking. does 9,900 sound right for a price before taxes?

Skeleranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
c note is right, i have a 2002 and its xlt and fx4. but i think thats a good price, i got mine last year with 66 on it for 14. kelly blue book it, that might help. plus i bet it has some goodies like 4.10s and a limited slip.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i've wanted an FX4 ranger forever, and all of them were so expensive. I didn't think 84K miles was too much, but I figured having a 2nd or even 3rd opinion wouldn't hurt from real FX4 owners.

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
did u check kbb? id say maybe 9k even.

is it the manual tranny and t-case version? i love those... cuz thats what i have!

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how much are they askin for the truck??

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
did u check kbb? id say maybe 9k even.

is it the manual tranny and t-case version? i love those... cuz thats what i have!
No its auto and shift on the fly, but that doesn't matter all that much to me.

theyre asking 9950$ for it.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They're not askin- they're GETTIN'. There is NO negotiations at carmax, thats just another reason people have such a low opinion of them. Me included.

I wouldn't pay book price for anything right now, the market sux and there are deals everywhere. Especially on a truck that's gonna get like 15 MPG...

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
They're not askin- they're GETTIN'. There is NO negotiations at carmax, thats just another reason people have such a low opinion of them. Me included.

I wouldn't pay book price for anything right now, the market sux and there are deals everywhere. Especially on a truck that's gonna get like 15 MPG...
Read the top, I don't give a rats ass about your opinion of carmax. Nothing personal, just don't care.

I don't care that much about MPG, it's going to be better than my 77 GMC k25.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual

Its true for the truck market. You can almost get a new truck for 2-5k $ less than new.

Now as for the 2003 FX4. Thats not too bad of a price. Thou, it could be better. 4x4 Rangers have a high re-sale value.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Read the top, I don't give a rats ass about your opinion of carmax. Nothing personal, just don't care.

I don't care about your opinion of my opinion either, so there...

I don't care that much about MPG, it's going to be better than my 77 GMC k25.
Doesn't matter. Point is, a truck that gets 15 MPG should be DISCOUNTED with today's fuel prices. This means you have a bargaining chip here. A bargaining chip you can't use at the above unmentioned place that you don't care about my, or anyone else's opinion of. Let us know if you get it. We need to get you out of the chebby. It explains a lot about your attitude.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Doesn't matter. Point is, a truck that gets 15 MPG should be DISCOUNTED with today's fuel prices. This means you have a bargaining chip here. A bargaining chip you can't use at the above unmentioned place that you don't care about my, or anyone else's opinion of. Let us know if you get it. We need to get you out of the chebby. It explains a lot about your attitude.
haha. I understand about the prices thing its just the only other level II i found isn't exactly what i want. its about 3K more, and its black w/ black and red seats, (i like blue better) and I live in AZ, black is reaaaaaaaally hot. I'll probably end up with the black one though because its closer to my house.

question. is a 2002-2003 grille going to fit on an 04? I like the 02-03 grilles better, 04+ look weird.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Honestly my black truck isn't much hotter than my green one. When I got out of school in late spring in high school my thermometer would be reading about 130 degrees in my green Ranger. Dunno how hot my black one gets, but after a certain point it is hard to tell temperature by feel. It just gets freeking hot and you roll the window down asap just to breath... just like in the Ranger.

ccryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know about any rangers being discounted because of fuel prices.....around my area, ANY smaller 4x4 truck is getting a premium price because all the contractors are looking for them because 15mpg beats the heck of out what the full size trucks are getting!

When I was looking, people are getting $4-6K for older small 4x4s, early-mid 90's, very few available and they go quick.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals