• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

locker or?

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, all. I could use a little input on a decision i am trying to make. My 02 ranger just rolled over 150,000 miles last week and im now thinking its time to start building it up to be a bit more comfortable off-road. i plan on keeping it as my full time dd for the next 3 years (im still in college) and then pick up something newer as a dd and keeping it as a hunt/fish/wheel mobile.

anyhow, a buddy of mine wheels with a zr2 s-10 with a G80 rear end, and when we are out on the trails his truck has an advantage on my truck's limited slip and it really shows. I would kinda like to level the playing field a bit.

sooo...here is the question, i have been looking at the Powertrax locker mostly because it has an application that is supposed to work on trucks like mine that are equip with a limited slip. Is this a good idea or a bad idea? i do not do much "downtown" driving, but at the same time i dont want to upgrade my dd to something that would either self destruct with average driving, and or tear apart other things on the truck.

also i should point out that i am thinking about doing a body lift and upping my tires to 33's if this is a deal breaker or maker.

So what do you think? is there a better option for me, or am i driving the best payoff for what im doing right now? other lockers? i have heard of shimming the trac-lock, is that a good option instead? i am looking for outside input, and being in college i would like to keep it as cheap as possible.

My trucks info: 2002, 4.0L , 5-speed manual, stock 8.8" rear with 4.10 gears and the stock limited slip.

Bubba Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'Tis what I run. Makes driving on pavement a little different but you get used to it. Hard to beat it with anything else price considered.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Nothing wrong with a good auto locker, a lot better than that G80..

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
G80 diffs have a bad rep for durability. The powertrax no-slip is pricey, but for the street this is probably the best option. The cheaper units tend to buck, snap, and chirp when turning. The no-slip is your friend!

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if i haven't said it once, i will say it. You Guys Rock. thanks for the input and i will probably put an order in for my powertrax in the next few months. thanks for the input guys.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
if i haven't said it once, i will say it. You Guys Rock. thanks for the input and i will probably put an order in for my powertrax in the next few months. thanks for the input guys.
It'll be worth it when his "gov-lock" differential gives way and your powertrax no-slip doesn't break a sweat when one wheel is off the ground. Let us know how you like it when you order one.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have said powertrax no-slip, and drive 50mi a day to school and back (from rural to downtown sacramento) and absolutely love it. Hands down for the money its your best option. Offroad the difference is awesome. On road its manners are "polite". It sorta will chirp a tire on dry asphalt if you are making a sharp turn and get on the throttle, but this is not very often and you get used to its qualities real quick, and you'll like it. When it was brand new it clunked and engaged harsh MAYBE 3 times...but since then has been great. I'd say it is your best option for the money.

I've had detroits, ARB's and L/s....but for the $500 dollars, the performance and road manners make it well worth the money. ARBs are nice, but pricey/problematic, detroits are loud, clunky and disengage/engage roughly and a L/s is well straight lame.

I see you have a manual (and I have an automatic) which I've heard does not provide as smooth of transitions from locked to unlocked, but thats just what ive heard.

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thanks for the additional input guys. Im alright with a bit of extra harshness, just as long as my truck doesn't start acting like a pissed off bull around corners, i can live with it. i will just have to re-learn driving my truck from what it sounds like, and im cool with that. Thanks again guys!

pdmustgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Detroit lockers work very well with automatics. I've had them behind auto's and manual trans. They can be harsh at times with a manual trans when the clutch is pushed in and turning. Shorter the wheelbase seems to make it worst.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals