• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lightweight, thin, economical wheel and tire recommendations.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The camper shell/topper has been shown to be fuel usage neutral if it's a fiberglass one. You lose the air bubble generated by the air catching the tailgate but the general air flow over the truck is better. The catch is that the added weight cancels any benefit from the better airflow. So, neutral.
Cab size and bed length/depth play a factor too.

The mid caps are a mixed bag, depending on how they are designed.
Mine appears to be designed after a F-117 Nighthawk... so I assume it is pretty crafty with the wind. :icon_thumby:

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Update for everyone,

The tires I decided upon are: Firestone Destination LE3s in 205/70R16s.

1711768712791.png

(These are priced in USD, and would have included delivery and duties to be delivered from Tire Rack)

Why you may ask? Good reviews, high treadwear and performance ratings, but more importantly, some guy was selling a set of 4 for 250$ CAD, 350 Kilometres away from my house. Two of them were used for a season, and the other two are brand new, sticker included. They are technically used, but near as makes no difference to brand new, plus I saved around 140$ CAD a tire by finding them used.

I'll update folks on performance and fuel economy over on my truck's main thread, once the weather actually gives me a reason to put these on my truck.

Thanks again for everyone's recommendations, input, and advice on whether or not to order new wheels!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran LE2's on my wife's Edge for years, they lasted forever and seemed to do very well for traction in mud/snow for what they were.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I ran LE2's on my wife's Edge for years, they lasted forever and seemed to do very well for traction in mud/snow for what they were.
Good to hear!

I was so glad to find them used! The size I was looking for is pretty rare, so even on the cheapest new tire I was looking at was 140-160$ not including shipping and taxes. They've got an insane tread warranty, and rating. I truly couldn't have found a better deal, despite having to spend almost 100$ in gas to pick them up.

Short of a bad puncture or damage these should last me at least 3-4 years, which is a lot for the amount I drive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals