• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Legal Advice

wayfast73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
November 1st I was in a parking lot in 2nd gear with no gas just the clutch out crawling (4.11 gears 265/75/16 tires), and around a bad turn to go to the back of a building a lady was behind a snowbank. I braked hard but still tapped her and she went down. I called 911, the cops showed up measured my bumper height, took a report ect. I was told I was free to go and did not get any tickets or warnings. Today, I get a call at work that there is a warrent for my arrest so after work I head to the station the cuff me and "arrest me" but never read me my rights. After booking me they said they were giving me violations of bumper height 5" taller than the law. My truck does not have the plastic vallence it was ripped off so when I asked the officer where the height is measured he told me he wasnt sure. Also I was given neglegent driving and no inspection. At the scene I told them I just did a motor swap and the Evap system was not ready so the state law is 60 days from when it fails. I was within that 60 days. I was given a court date, my question is are they allowed to put a warrent out to just serve me a court date and can they cite me 2 weeks after? They told me I wasnt ticketed then because they did not witness it but I should have gotten a ticket for bumper height or inspection at the time? I am in NH.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think it's going to vary a lot by state, but I would think that's a hard sell to issue a ticket two weeks after the fact.

wayfast73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And it wasnt even a ticket it was just a court date for those violations. I got tboned a year ago and the driver was cited on scene for failure to yield.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Consult a lawyer. You can get a referral from the local bar association. When you call ask how much it will cost for a consultation. If you don't have the financial resources contact the legal aid society. What would probably be the best thing to do is contact the prosecutor and ask him exactly what the charges are and how you can be charged 2 weeks after the fact. Feel him out but don't trust him for shut. If he drops all the charges your golden if not then you can decide if you need a lawyer.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet is to talk to a lawyer fluent in this subject. All of us can give you what "we think" but what "we think" doesn't mean a thing to the judge.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As far as hitting the women, you should have received a careless driving citation. Now the equipment and emissions violations you should have gotten fix it citations that are dropped once the problems are corrected.
I don't believe for a minute there was an arrest warrant involved.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If was a private parking lot then the Police have no jurisdiction there unless there was actual great bodily harm or the owner wanted to press charges. At that time the charges would have come from the owner and not the Police. Now if the woman followed up at the local hospital and was treated for injuries related to you "tapping" her, then either her or her insurance company have filed them against you. To which you are at fault. At which time a bench warrant was put out for you. I am going to stop there but it sounds like to need to take what comes your way with the courts and move on.

wayfast73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I knew I would need a lawyer I just wasnt sure if there was any one here that has been in a similar situation. She was concious the whole time and I didnt leave any skid marks, so I was not going fast.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Now she can get a lawyer and you are screwed with another issue. The idiot driver that killed his young female passenger near the entrance to our property last year was just now charged right at a year later. It took that long to get him arrested. He was going 90 mph in a 30 mph zone and killed the 19 year old girl. It took a year to arrest him?? We just still can't believe that it took that long.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My advice, next time hit the gas and feed her to your friends Rottweiler. Less problems. Nothing like having to be "retrained" on driving by taking an 8-12 hr sun-sat class because you have too many citations.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Btw, I hate old people. I got hit by a car on my bike. I was like 12. Told the guy to **** off and a couple tears later I was fine. Old people cry for years...

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Btw, I hate old people. I got hit by a car on my bike. I was like 12. Told the guy to **** off and a couple tears later I was fine. Old people cry for years...
A lot of old people I know carry weapons and they are great shots...don't mess with the ones I know......lol

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
They cuff you because they are too ****ing lazy to send you a
registered letter?

Do you still live at the same adress?

cuffing is NOT necissary to serve you some paperwork

Some guys just "Get off" embarrassing and humiliating people.

Those guys don't belong in uniform.

Personally I don't believe guys like that deserve to breath air,
but that's an entirely different discussion.

AD

wayfast73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup all it was is a court date I figured they could have just served me. I have zero driving offences and my criminal record is clean. Ive never even gotten a written warning before, Ive only been driving 7 years but I think thats pretty good for a young guy. I was not flying or driving hard either it is a bad corner I have almost been hit head on by cars so I crawl around it. She had 2 kids with her, but she just froze like a statue instead of moving. If I heard a water pump screaming and heading in my directions I would not choose to walk out behind a snowbank. Between the turn being bad and the snowbank it was just a wrong place at the wrong time situation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals