• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaking light machine oil?

Slysdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, the GF just left, (she drives a '98 3.0 Ranger) and left a line of drips under where the radiator was on the driveway of what smells and feels like a light machine oil. :icon_confused:

Now, we'd been noticing some inconsistent noise under high RPM (3-5k) with the A/C on (yes, even now, Georgia is trying to be A/C country) that I attributed to a belt in need of dressing (screeching, but so short it never hit full audibility) or the compressor, as it's had this odd habit of shutting off and refusing to function unless turned to OFF for at least 5 minutes. Turned off the A/C and the noise seemed to not occur (though it was so barely there when it WAS that I can't be sure).

All I can think of is the compressor leaking oil through that front seal behind the pulley, with the noise belt screech from near instant moments of insufficient lubrication. Doesn't smell like any other fluid in the truck, and is only slightly more viscous than than your favorite spray-lube.

Can't really do any real diagnostic work, as that truck (and it's keys) is now back at her parent's and she's back downtown at the school, so I'm just trying to confirm my thoughts as I formulate them. :dntknw:

Last edited:

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I can sympathize with you about still needing A/C. Wouldn't go without it here in SC either. Supposed to be 90F this week around Thurs I think. Anyway, given the nature of the A/C compressor and the quantity of oil it contains, its unlikely (though not impossible) that any sizable amount of oil would make it to the ground unless it was hemorraging(sp?) oil, in which case it probably would have seized by now. I suppose its possible your condenser could be leaking a little as well, although the quantity it would lose is in question. Have you noticed any drop in performance from your A/C since this started? Given that '94 should have been one of the first years for 134a refrigerant, any significant loss of pressure should have resulted in a noticible difference in output temp. Anyway, would love to know what you find out, when you find out.

Slysdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The questions aren't about MY truck but about the girlfriend's '98 3.0. My compressor is just abused and worn out (operated for who knows how long with two too many shims in the clutch, leading to lots of shaved metal, and it sounds as if a bearing is too large, as the compressor makes a knocking noise when in use.

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I caught that it was your girl's truck. Just got my wires crossed... Anyway, as I said at the end, would love to find out what was wrong once you do solve the problem.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
is the A/C compressor near the power steering pump?? if it is then it could be power steering fluid.

Robert

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals