• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Larger tires causing problems with my truck?

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I figure that this is the right place to post this, because it does cover a lot of issues other than simply tires, so who knows. Fact of the matter is that I'd like to put bigger tires on my 2WD Ranger Sport 3.0L, but my dealer told me that it could cause a lot of problems that wouldn't be covered under warranty (thus voiding the warranty.) I have 4.10 gears with stock 235/70/16 tires. I'd like to run 245/75/16 with a body lift or possibly a 2-3" suspension lift, but at the bare minimum I want the bigger and more aggressive tires.

I was wondering if the larger tire size would cause any transmission, drivetrain, brake problems or otherwise? I have talked to a lot of people who run MUCH larger tires who said it would be fine to run such a relatively small (comparatively speaking) tire such as a 245/75 over the stock 235/70, but it seems like EVERY Ford tech that I speak with tells me that I will run into a lot of problems uncovered by the warranty. I haven't even asked them if putting a lift on my truck would be adding fuel to the fire. I don't even off-road aggressively in this truck (I have a ragged-out Jeep for that.) This is my daily driver that I'd like to make a bit more off-road worthy should the need ever arise since I drive on a LOT of farm roads and other un-paved roads when it gets wet and sloppy -- basically I just want to prevent getting stuck on a sloppy and unpaved road as well as increase the stance/appearance of my truck.

Usually, I couldn't care less about lifting and/or putting larger tires on my vehicle, but since this truck is relatively new and I have a warranty, I don't want to be pissing in the wind so to speak. It is the first new vehicle I have ever bought. :icon_confused:

Thanks a ton.

Last edited:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
The tires should not cause problems with the 4.10 diffs, but MAY void warranty (depending on how the warranty is written). Usually, the (stealership) dealership assumes you are talking about huge tires when people talk about putting on larger tires. Your truck should fit up to 31 inch diameter tires without a problem as built.

My opinion: Don't add the lift till you are out of warranty. The non-Ford lift WILL void the warranty. You won't see much more speed or less power with the larger tires, there is very little size difference.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well,

I figure that this is the right place to post this, because it does cover a lot of issues other than simply tires, so who knows. Fact of the matter is that I'd like to put bigger tires on my 2WD Ranger Sport 3.0L, but my dealer told me that it could cause a lot of problems that wouldn't be covered under warranty (thus voiding the warranty.) I have 4.10 gears with stock 235/70/16 tires. I'd like to run 245/75/16 with a body lift or possibly a 2-3" suspension lift, but at the bare minimum I want the bigger and more aggressive tires.

I was wondering if the larger tire size would cause any transmission, drivetrain, brake problems or otherwise? I have talked to a lot of people who run MUCH larger tires who said it would be fine to run such a relatively small (comparatively speaking) tire such as a 245/75 over the stock 235/70, but it seems like EVERY Ford tech that I speak with tells me that I will run into a lot of problems uncovered by the warranty. I haven't even asked them if putting a lift on my truck would be adding fuel to the fire. I don't even off-road aggressively in this truck (I have a ragged-out Jeep for that.) This is my daily driver that I'd like to make a bit more off-road worthy should the need ever arise since I drive on a LOT of farm roads and other un-paved roads when it gets wet and sloppy -- basically I just want to prevent getting stuck on a sloppy and unpaved road as well as increase the stance/appearance of my truck.

Usually, I couldn't care less about lifting and/or putting larger tires on my vehicle, but since this truck is relatively new and I have a warranty, I don't want to be pissing in the wind so to speak. It is the first new vehicle I have ever bought. :icon_confused:

Thanks a ton.
At the very least you ARE thinking before you make adjustments to the product the engineers at Ford made.
Every tire size makes a 5% or more weight on the engine and all the drive parts. Also that 5% or more drag on the brake parts.
Your 235 and 245 are metric measurements for tires. I have my doubts as to them being truck tires. I always use 29, 30 or 31 measurements for my trucks as I think of those tires to be truck measurements.
I never use a taller tire or change the height of my trucks unless they have already FAILED me in a certain instance.
If your truck is doing all it does for you without failing anywhere you go...why in the hell would you modify it?
Trust me you can put tires on our little trucks that the brakes will NOT stop. Them same tires won't allow the computer to get all the lean mixture or maximum timing that is built in from the factory.
We bought these cause we LIKED them.. Just another thought, if you think taller tires would make the truck LOOK better.. the only time you will ever see them is when they are sitting in YOUR driveway..
So my advice would be to leave it alone and be happy with it until it has failed you.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rangers have came from the factory with bigger tires, in its glory days the FX4's had 31" tires, so I wouldn't worry about handling or braking being terrible. Unless your dealership wants to be a prick, the only warretee you would be voiding is the nearly worthless tire warretee, they can worm their way out of that by saying you didn't maintain proper air pressure or hit something etc...

Don't worry at all about running a metric tire, it is the load range that matters not what kind of tape measure is used. I have 235/75-15's on my Ranger that are LR C, which is perfectly fine for a little Ranger. 245/75-16's are a common base tire size for 3/4 and tons, so LR D and E should be easy to find if you want them (probably easier to find than a lighter tire actually). They are even making tractor tires in metric sizes now, they can get a lot of millimeters wrapped in them things. :shok:

Tires don't effect how the engine runs, sure they will effect fuel ecomony, but they are putting an extra load on it just like pulling a trailer (bigger tires = bigger trailer), it won't mess up the timing and other engine calibrations. It will drive different, but should be livable. W/ 4.10's I wouldn't worry about a small jump a bit. They can be harder on a automatic tranny if you let it hunt for gears in hilly country though, with the factory setup RBV's can do that as well though, like my parents '94 EX with factory 235/75-15 tires and 3.27 gears... which IMO is a far worse combo than 4.10's and 245's on a lighter truck.

Get a factory size tire that was available the same year your truck was built, get the PCM reflashed and the truck won't know or care it didn't come with with that size of tire.

Last edited:

bayouranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your truck should fit up to 31 inch diameter tires without a problem as built.
I have read that on this forum a LOT, and I have seen trucks with the larger tires without a lift, I just still seem skeptical that the front will clear at full turn. :dunno: I doubt I'd ever put a suspension lift on this truck, but I have an even greater doubt that the dealership I bought this truck from would even recognize if I put a 2" body lift. The dealership has changed ownership TWICE since I bought my truck from them. Aren't they less picky with the extended warranties on vehicles anyhow? It's a Ford dealership, but it's not like anything would be going wrong on my truck while my factory warranty is still in effect -- which is almost up anyhow.

At the very least you ARE thinking before you make adjustments to the product the engineers at Ford made.
Every tire size makes a 5% or more weight on the engine and all the drive parts. Also that 5% or more drag on the brake parts.
Your 235 and 245 are metric measurements for tires. I have my doubts as to them being truck tires. I always use 29, 30 or 31 measurements for my trucks as I think of those tires to be truck measurements.
True. But, that is what they put on them stock, so it's what I go with. :)

If I just wanted to run a 30" tire, would that be better?

We bought these cause we LIKED them.. Just another thought, if you think taller tires would make the truck LOOK better.. the only time you will ever see them is when they are sitting in YOUR driveway..
So my advice would be to leave it alone and be happy with it until it has failed you.
Very good point.

Rangers have came from the factory with bigger tires, in its glory days the FX4's had 31" tires, so I wouldn't worry about handling or braking being terrible. Unless your dealership wants to be a prick.

It will drive different, but should be livable. W/ 4.10's I wouldn't worry about a small jump a bit. They can be harder on a automatic tranny if you let it hunt for gears in hilly country though, with the factory setup RBV's can do that as well though, like my parents '94 EX with factory 235/75-15 tires and 3.27 gears... which IMO is a far worse combo than 4.10's and 245's on a lighter truck.

Get a factory size tire that was available the same year your truck was built, get the PCM reflashed and the truck won't know or care it didn't come with with that size of tire.
Well, I did buy a truck and not the new Mustang, so I'm not too worried about how long it takes me to get to 60, LOL. And, about the hills, the closest thing we have to a hill down here south Louisiana is a levee, so again that wouldn't be much of a problem either.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I never use a taller tire or change the height of my trucks unless they have already FAILED me in a certain instance.
If your truck is doing all it does for you without failing anywhere you go...why in the hell would you modify it?
Trust me you can put tires on our little trucks that the brakes will NOT stop. Them same tires won't allow the computer to get all the lean mixture or maximum timing that is built in from the factory.

With all respect Big Jim I think you're forgetting the youth vision of big tires on your truck make it look bad ass and you're arguing with logic VS youth and visuals.. While I am only 27 I do agree with you that if it ain't broke don't fix it but some guys want to look "cooler" by having cooler tires which I get. Personally with my finances I would prefer the best outcome for gas mileage and the OP is most likely talking looks only without and gains and you're right the only time he will notice is when parked, outside of his truck admiring it.. Personally I wouldn't change my platform but I think you failed a bit to realize on his REAL intentions which is to make it look "cooler" which I guess is some peoples cup of tea.. my look is whatever is cheaper and costs me less in refueling only because I have a lot of other priorities right than making my truck look cool but that's just me personally. :icon_thumby:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You hit it on the head

With all respect Big Jim I think you're forgetting the youth vision of big tires on your truck make it look bad ass and you're arguing with logic VS youth and visuals.. While I am only 27 I do agree with you that if it ain't broke don't fix it but some guys want to look "cooler" by having cooler tires which I get. Personally with my finances I would prefer the best outcome for gas mileage and the OP is most likely talking looks only without and gains and you're right the only time he will notice is when parked, outside of his truck admiring it.. Personally I wouldn't change my platform but I think you failed a bit to realize on his REAL intentions which is to make it look "cooler" which I guess is some peoples cup of tea.. my look is whatever is cheaper and costs me less in refueling only because I have a lot of other priorities right than making my truck look cool but that's just me personally. :icon_thumby:
That's zackly what I'm doing! Trying to educate them guys that "cool" isn't the only thing they are doing to their rides. Every action has a reaction. I'm trying to introduce them to the fact that they are changing other than just the LOOKS of their rides.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Drivetrain issues are about the least of the worries with larger tires IMO. Larger tires give the effect of having a load in the bed, which the drivetrain is designed to be able to handle. What they will effect more is suspension, steering, and brake parts.
Larger tires weigh more, thus increasing "sprung" weight, which adds stress to the ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, springs, bushings, any moving part of the suspension.
You also have more centrifugal momentum (if that's the right way to describe it) when the tires are rolling (acts much the same as putting a heavier flywheel on an engine). It basically makes it harder to stop. You have to push the pedal harder to stop in the same distance as with the smaller tires. Resulting in the brake parts building more heat and wearing out faster. This in turn also compounds problems for wheel bearings, which will not be able to cool as easily. Heat degrades the grease used in the bearings (just like it does for oil), which will lead to added wear.

99RangerOffRoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
But with only 245/75/16 which is what came with my Ranger stock... I doubt that will make a huge difference.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But with only 245/75/16 which is what came with my Ranger stock... I doubt that will make a huge difference.
+1

The truck was built to handle them (and bigger) from the factory, it was a mere checkbox or two away from having them originally.

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
c'mon jim ease up the kid just wants his truck to look cool the truth is a little bigger tire is not gonna hurt a damn thing the only thing it will change is the speedo! and bayouranger find a different dealer i live in southern ca. and you wont find one dealer that wont fix your truck because almost everyone out here has lifted trucks with huge tires most guys out here run 33's or35's on rangers! if you want to raise it a little get spindle lift not a body lift:)

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No, it probably won't make a huge difference, if any at all. I'm just pulling teeth for the heck of it. :D
Besides the stock size tire for that truck was probably 235 75 15 which is a much more common truck tire size. Which puts it even closer to the very slightly larger 245 75 16 size desired. I doubt the dealer would even notice if you just threw a set on and kept mum about it.

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The tires should not cause problems with the 4.10 diffs, but MAY void warranty (depending on how the warranty is written). Usually, the (stealership) dealership assumes you are talking about huge tires when people talk about putting on larger tires. Your truck should fit up to 31 inch diameter tires without a problem as built.

My opinion: Don't add the lift till you are out of warranty. The non-Ford lift WILL void the warranty. You won't see much more speed or less power with the larger tires, there is very little size difference.
im not buying this voiding the warranty, dealers around here install those same lifts you guys are talking about and installing the same big tires! jts bs the dealer is just trying to make an extra buck at your expense ford doesnt care and they cant inspect every part that comes off every truck and see if said truck had bigger tires

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals