• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just replaced transmission...having same issues.

Growl60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just replaced transmission...having same issues. HELP

I just replaced my m5od 4x4 from my 3.0 and its like I never replaced it. Im having the identical issues I had before I replaced my transmission. It slips out of gear when you take your foot off the gas, it occasionally wont go into reverse, its noisy, and it slips in first gear sometimes. I made a thread about my old transmission doing this before (http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130742). Theyre the IDENTICAL symptoms my old transmission had before I put this new one in. Its like i never changed the transmission. This transmission has less miles on it too. I replaced my clutch and the slave cylinder. I have no idea why its doing this. Im at a complete loss. It took me 3 months to find this transmission. Any suggestions?

Someone told me it might have something to do with the shift cover and someone else told me to replace my motor mounts and tranny mount? No idea what that would have to do with it. I changed the fluid in the trans too before I put it in. Maybe the clutch isnt bled enough? I dont know. I replaced the clutch hose too. Also I didnt replace or resurface the flywheel since it didnt have any gouges or nicks in it. I just cleaned it up. It wasnt in bad shape. I didnt replace the pilot bearing either. Could that have something to do with it?

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the clutch fails other than it being worn out, it's default is engaged, if the pilot bearing is failed it would stick and be hard to shift because the input shaft would be turning with the crank all time time).

It sounds like you have a body lift and the shifter is hitting the floor plate, or something else with the shifter hitting the floor plate. It doesn't by chance have the Hurst shifter on it, does it? There could be an issue with the shifter finger being too tight to fit properly.

Growl60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I figured it out. I noticed this yesterday too. When I parked the truck last night on level ground I had no reverse and it was doing all its normal stuff including making noise in neutral. Then I moved it on to an uneven incline and the motor+trans moved and it stopped making noise, I got reverse back and it acted normal. I got under it and inspected my motor mounts and transmission mounts. Theyre all totally blown out. I also took my shift boot off and watched my transmission and engine shift around and move like crazy while I was driving and just shifting gears...like much more than it should...and yes all my engine bolts are torqued down correctly. Im ordering new motor mounts and a trans mount tonight. It should be noted that this truck has been off roaded and abused most of its life before I owned it. That explains the destroyed motor and trans mounts. The assembly shifting around the way it does is some how shifting the output shaft or input shaft in the trans around I think.

Last edited:

Growl60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals