• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just replaced brakes. Did I do somthing wrong?

willmasse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Okay just got done changing everything out on my front right brakes. New caliper, rotor, pads. It seems though that the wheel cannot spin freely without rubbing the pads now...i gave it a quick test drive and it sounded weird, turn the wheel to the left the sound goes away. I feel like i must have done somthing wrong, just dont know what it is.... shouldnt the wheel be able to spin freely without having to rub the pads?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
goes away when turning left? do you have sloppy wheel bearings? also its best to replace both sides of your brakes at the same time.

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Are the sliders and tracks lubricated, if they are, are the back of the pads (where the touch the caliper) lubricated, lack of lubrication can cause the pad to stick against the rotor and cause a squeal. Also, were the and tits on the back of the pads, I've seen it before where there is a tit or nub that is used for holding a shim on that is in a wrong spot where it will push the pad against the rotor and cause it stay applied even with the brakes off. Also, are there shims on the pads, I've seen it before where the pads are just slightly thicker then factory specs and the shim can take up that amount of extra space and keep the pad against the rotor. Did you change rotors, and if so, was the style where you had to change bearings over. If so, did you over tighten the bearing.

as for the squealing it could be related, or it could be caused by cheap pads (I see this all the tie), it could be caused by new pads and old rotors, or a squealer tab that is bent and nearly touching. There are many variables for both situations, they may be related, or the might also be separate issues, but go after the stiff wheel first, that will lead to bigger problems then a noise, start there and work your way to the noise.

Also, the other caliper should be changed, breaks should always be done by the axle, not by the corner. are are the calipers for the right application?

Last edited:

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay just got done changing everything out on my front right brakes. New caliper, rotor, pads. It seems though that the wheel cannot spin freely without rubbing the pads now...i gave it a quick test drive and it sounded weird, turn the wheel to the left the sound goes away. I feel like i must have done somthing wrong, just dont know what it is.... shouldnt the wheel be able to spin freely without having to rub the pads?
it shouldn't turn too freely because there's supposed to be a slight bit of contact even when the brakes are not engaged so that when you press on the pedal things are less likely to warp and wrinkle, as opposed to if there was airspace between the pad and the rotor. the fact that it goes away though when you turn your wheels to the left does suggest that something isn't quite right though, such as a wheel bearing or something.

Phil_T

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I would check to see if the new calipers are working (and if the piston returns), You might have a defective caliper. If all is good, make sure youre bearings are good and no loose, and I would remove the caliper and pads and relubricate everything.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I hate to potentially insult your intelligence by asking this, but I have to because I've seen it too many times not to. Also, don't really think this is your problem, but....

You didn't put the caliper on upside down did you?

Also, did you over-tighten the bearing when you put it back together? That could account for almost everything.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sliders,bad wheel bearing, bad caliper, improper brake size, improper rotor. That's where I would start.

and grease the crap out of those sliders! Also I have gotten bad calipers before, It happens frequently cause they re manufacture all those calipers. And you know how competent some of those counter guys can be check it with your old part! I learned that a long time and too many trips ago!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
^Yeah, check that stuff too.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My wife's old Plymouth van had a partial sticking caliper, and after two sets of brakes that crap got frustrating!! I finally broke down and slapped a caliper on it, and low and behold I got a bad one again, talk about pissed, I had just put new brakes back on it. Well they replaced the caliper and the brakes which turned out well, Then my wife got hit and the van got totaled! :( That stuff is frustrating, just take your time and keep your kool.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Did you only change 1 side? Brakes and rotors should be changed in pairs. While the calipers can compensate for slight variations in rotor and pad width. If you only changed 1 side the variance can be as much as a 3/4 of a inch.

So in effect one sides dragging and the other sides lose.

willmasse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
changed both sides, the caliper on the noisy right side is all new, i was having sounds before so im thinking now it may be the wheel bearings, which is annoying cause i had those damn things out when i changed out the brake rotor. what procedure should i follow for installing new ones? i know they need to be greased quite well. how much grease is too much? probably not going to get around to it till sunday. i feel as though the brakes are fine because i did the left side and that sounds fine. wheel bearings could be a cheap fix. might as well try the cheapest thing first! wish i had thought of it before i bought the new brakes lol, such as life.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals