• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

just plain stupid, doing a sbc swap w/blackwidow

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
like anything if you want to spend big money you can get excellent results.

no money dont mean good workable comprimises dont get the job done.

"doing it right" seriously wtf does that mean really in a custm application....
bobby, i respect your comments as well as everybody elses. my whole thread is about putting a 350 in a ranger. so when someone tells me not to even use a chevy engine, it gets my back up. if i wanted to put a sb ford in my ranger i would, but i dont, its that simple. i have a 350 laying in my garage with a built th700r4 ready to go into something. so i wanna put it into my truck. and look at the responses. in this case, i know a 350 in a ranger has been done before. all i was saying is to be different. maybe where you live theres 350 rangers as far as the eye can see. but in ny, theres maybe 2 or 3, theres so many freakin 302 rangers that i dont wanna do that. its like putting a loud exhaust on a honda. you automatically become ricer qualified. and btw, i never posted "doing it right" where did that come from? so if you dont approve of my swap. then look at a different thread.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobby, i respect your comments as well as everybody elses. my whole thread is about putting a 350 in a ranger. so when someone tells me not to even use a chevy engine, it gets my back up. if i wanted to put a sb ford in my ranger i would, but i dont, its that simple. i have a 350 laying in my garage with a built th700r4 ready to go into something. so i wanna put it into my truck. and look at the responses. in this case, i know a 350 in a ranger has been done before. all i was saying is to be different. maybe where you live theres 350 rangers as far as the eye can see. but in ny, theres maybe 2 or 3, theres so many freakin 302 rangers that i dont wanna do that. its like putting a loud exhaust on a honda. you automatically become ricer qualified. and btw, i never posted "doing it right" where did that come from? so if you dont approve of my swap. then look at a different thread.

errr...hmm i guess that reads bad...doing it right isnt in response to you....it was in the quoted thread. guy had some bad experiences and now knows it must be a blanket situation for us all...:icon_rofl:...

and look in his sig line...about doing it right.

i should have made a seperate response to you...

if he did it right he would not be telling you not to use a 350. i have perfomed 350 swaps..and its all i what you have o work wih and what your goals are....2wd....4x4....ac...cruise...ectectectect....i have done dozens of rbv and s10 swaps....toy swaps...302/351 pinto waps ect ect.....6.2 in fsb and 150...lots of dumb shit.

i will be te last guy to tell you not to do a 350.

if i go back to a gasser, it will likely be a 6.0or6.2 gm:icon_thumby:

what i do have is a 6.5 chevy diesel in my daily driver ranger:D

or is that impossible?:icon_confused::icon_confused:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok bobby, its no problem, were all friends here. my ranger is a daily driver right now, when i get my 95 s10 blazers tranny fixed, btw 95 WAS THE WORST FREAKIN YEARS FOR TRANNYS, (no homo) then it will be a weekend cruiser. its 2wd. my 2.3 is slow as balls in winter. i wanted a 350 with a 5 speed but a lot of people said to do an auto so thats what i think ima do. and to be honest, i at one time was gonna put a stroked 289 woth 400 whp in it. but the engine got scrapped by one of my friends. :annoyed: if you have any suggestions on how to put a 350 in her. please share your wisdom, btw i dont get why wisdom has the word dum in it

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool project, the 7.5 should be fine as long as u dont beat on it all the time and dont run slicks, another good trans would be a th400, good luck with the project!
yeah the 400 is a great tranny, but it has a very tall first gear which would kill the purpose of my truck. its great if you got some power to boot though

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Hey Bobby>>>

Not to hijack the thread............but do you have a link to view pics of your 6.5 diesel in your Ranger:icon_welder:????

I'm not a diesel person, never owned one, & really don't have a desire to, BUT always like to checkout others projects/ideas!:icon_thumby:

THANKS Dude!

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to hijack the thread............but do you have a link to view pics of your 6.5 diesel in your Ranger:icon_welder:????

I'm not a diesel person, never owned one, & really don't have a desire to, BUT always like to checkout others projects/ideas!:icon_thumby:

THANKS Dude!
:threadjacked::worthless:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
when you set the 350 in there, its gonna be obvious what to do.

theres alot of ways to go with the mounts...modded uni jeep mounts work well. or 3 in spring hangers on channel. the way the truck was done in the video of this thread is nice too. accesories and induction have issues, the older stuff really forces the radiator forward. the jeep swap 350 radiator works nice, but the summit units are ideal. the cost is minimal. i have always went at hings from a low buck approach initially...jy adiators ect. a good summit type unit for less the 200 is worth the time and effort to install. modifying the core support and frame to fit the cooling needs is the best way to go in my experience.

in a 2wd there really isnt much to this. unless you do not want to modify the frame in any way.

with that self imposed limitation shit adds up fast.

what are known to me as cam rams (camaro type manifolds)and 400 oil pan work the best for the swap.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
yeah i see i am missing alot of letters...my communicaton and typing skills are not improving:icon_twisted:

this link should go to the general info thread i made. i do have a swap detail started but have to finish it. i have over 7 k total miles and 5 k plus on this setup since late oct....

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35931

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
buddy did you even read my posts?
I did BUT you asked for suggestions.

I mentioned what I had done before as a reference to you to let you know I have been there already.

You are worried about money and how much you will be spending ?
wait a while you will find out even a home brew project has money problems.

AND to answer your question a little further, as you did not get it from the original message; there is no way a Chebby V-8 will fit with a stock Ranger radiator AND there is no way when you get the motor in that the stock Ranger radiator will cool the Chebby V-8 with a manual engine run or dual electric fans.

Yes you are right in the idea about why build one if it is the same; there is something to be said about a well beaten path, "It is the right way to go".

Luck to ya, I hope it all works.

Last edited:

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Wft:

I haven't read all of the post so if there is repeating sorry.

My first suggestion is do not use the Chebby, yes it is not a Ford but the Chebby is longer than a Ford 5.0L, it is heavier, it is wider and the possibility of getting a radiator to cool it in the small engine compartment is low.
The wider Chebby will create more problems with header than the 5.0L Ford and the longer engine will create a need to have the radiator out the front of the truck or a major firewall mod to pull the engine back.
The easiest V-8 setup for a Ranger is the SB Ford, any of them from the 221 up to the 302 and any strokers in between. The 351 creates more trouble (like the Chebby) than they are worth, especially with the stroker kit out there for the 5.0L/302s.

I did the 5.0L Swap in an '88 Ranger, using an L&L kit, (Headers were really good) all went well but the radiator was another thing, cooling was a major problem even with an aftermarket setup. Part of the reason was the radiator had to be moved under the front support to give the clearance necessary to fit the, short than a Chebby, 5.0L and no mechanical fans; the electric fans raised hell with the radio equipment in the truck. I got a little relief from the heat by jacking the rear of the hood up about 1.5 inches (poor mans cowl induction) dropped the temp about 10 degrees.
My first run to the Vermont Truck Show was in the month of August and the heater was on full to help with the engine heat, talk about hot feet.

My next V-8 conversion is going to be an Long Rod, EFI 230 CI SB Ford based on a de-stroked 5.0L with NV 3550 trans, T/C still pending, and L&L Adapter Kit; time will tell and the result will be interesting.
I did BUT you asked for suggestions.

I mentioned what I had done before as a reference to you to let you know I have been there already.

You are worried about money and how much you will be spending ?
wait a while you will find out even a home brew project has money problems.

AND to answer your question a little further, as you did not get it from the original message; there is no way a Chebby V-8 will fit with a stock Ranger radiator AND there is no way when you get the motor in that the stock Ranger radiator will cool the Chebby V-8 with a manual engine run or dual electric fans.

Yes you are right in the idea about why build one if it is the same; there is something to be said about a well beaten path, "It is the right way to go".

Luck to ya, I hope it all works.
=========================================
Don't mean to step on your toes Dude.........but in your post, all you tell me is your experience with Fords..........have you ever built or run a Chevy to be givin the advice your attemptin?

Here's some helpful info IMO:
Info from my Practical Engine Swaps book, this was published in the 70's I believe, so it doesn't show 4 cyl or V6's:

YES: the 350 is 90#'s heavier
YES: the 350 is 4" longer
NO: the 350 is actually 1 1/2" narrower

NOW, I've built 2 and workin on a 3rd SBC powered Ranger (93 & 94's), my 3rd is goin to be a BBC, so when I post, it's not from the hip, it's from my ACTUAL experience.

IMO, this kid needs help & reliable answers to his questions on HIS build. He stated originally he wanted to put a 350 in his Ranger, he didn't ask how to put a SBF in it.

I've rambled enough..........just PMO when people try to impose their idea of what is right to them, and not consider what somebody else is wantin to do and ask for help from people that have actually done it.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cvlfrk :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray: thank you

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and scrambler, i whats with you calling chevy chebby, is that funny to you im not disrespecting ford in any way. this is uncalled for. f o r d- fawked over retard on drugs

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Just thought I'd stir the pot a little.....

A turbo ford 2.3 is magnitudes easier than any V8 swap, costs the same or less than said swap, and will easily make stock SBC/351 power and torque (they came from the factory pretty equivalent to a 305). Mind you it won't have the same torque at anything less than 2000 RPM, but that's good if you plan on keeping the 7.5 out back. Once the turbo kicks in hang on tight. You can do fuel and airflow mods and crank up the boost pretty cheap too. 400-500 hp is not unreasonable and very doable with the stock bottom end.

Now I say it's easy cause I'm an EFI guy and scared of vacuum lines (not really), but if your a carb guy and scared of wires, this swap probably isn't for you.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update

well the 2.3 took a crap on me today. it appears to have bent a valve. thats what you get for shifting to 3rd at 5000, well looks like i gonna pull the motor soon and get that 350 in her. btw, im not doing a 2.3 turbo in it!! if you read my post, you would have noticed that i have little to no money. so i have a nice 350 with a 700r4 trans ready to go in. and its less work to get a 350 in then a turbo, why, now i need a new engine which is already outta the price range, an upgraded turbo like a t3/t4, front mount intercooler. piping. all that jazz. then i would need to get a computer and convert it to efi. way too much time involved. it would cost me well over a grand to do that. the 350 is just time, and some performance goodies. but thanks for your imput, dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals