• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought a 4d55t truck, some questions...

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Did you just test your fusable links for continuity? What do you mean 'in bursts'?

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, i checked for continuity and they tested ok, i've cut them off and put two pieces of wire in there place.

when i put the ignition on, i get nothing, then i get short periods with everything working, like 0.5 second at a time and it's not regular. sometimes it does 15 times in a row, sometimes once and then nothing for several minutes. Almost sound like a relay that is toasted. But i don't see any relay between the ignition and the rest of the truck.

Having a diagram would be great. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Well here is the deal, I have a book of the schematics of all the wiring, I just don't have a working scanner right now. Ignition switch was a good call, but you should have other accessories working too. Headlights don't run in the ignition, they are live anytime the switch is in the on position. Horn, brake lights.. etc. Because the problem isn't Isolated, I'm thinking it COULD be something more obvious. How are your grounds? Battery Cables? If you have a set of jumper cables, clamp one to the Negative post on the battery and then ground the other side onto something that is grounded very well. It sounds to me, that it could very well be a grounding issue. Especially cause it isn't regular. You can try to turn something on, headlights, or leave the keys in the ignition for a buzzer, and wiggle your terminals and cables. If you wiggle something and you see the lights flash on, or hear the buzzer, you might be able to isolate the problem that way.

Last edited:

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I'll try to work on getting the schematics up when I can

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Hey thanks for the infos. I'll go from there. You gave me a good idea of what can be wrong, if you don't have access to a scanner, it's ok. i'll just get that book if i don't find my problem. I see 12 volts going into the cab by two yellow wires (one with a white stripe) and a blck org. but i just have 1.85 volts at the ignition where the yellow/white arrives. I'll remove the dashboard this afternoon, if i have some spare time.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
I think i had a short. removing a screw from the dash panel, everything went back to normal... i think the screw got into a main wire. i have yet to figure that out, but i've got power to everything now...

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Well, finally it was a wrong connection between two battery cables. i had a voltage drop there. I discard the wire that was originally intended for the main battery, turned around my battery to get enough wire to get to the starter solenoid. thanks for the help oh2|

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Glad to help and hear you got it sorted man!
Looking forward to your future plans. I should have pictures of my stuff soon, I'm going to start a thread we can bounce back and fourth on.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
That's cool. My next plans for the truck are to fix the cowl (got a leak), parking brake cable and front wheel bearing. and remove the tinted windows. I personnally don't like them and the cops neither. then, i'll have the timing belt and injection pump fixed by a mechanic that knows those trucks.

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good. I'd be curious to see what your EGT's are when you get a pyro / boost gauge. I'd love to be able to compare our numbers for relative tuning. How has the fuel efficiency been?

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Not sure when i'll put those gauges in, i think you got plenty of time ahead of you. Since i want this truck to be safe first, brake lines and hoses all around, new calipers, discs, wheel bearings, handbrake cables and timing belt and injection pump leak will be my priorities.

Since you told me about plumbing the pyro into the manifold, i think that's what will happens. At the same time i'll be installing the intercooler. I'd like to find one from a pajero with the electric fan, you pointed me out and i see the temp rises in traffic (stops, red lights, construction), not dangerously, but at 3/4. Now, could be a thermostat issue. I tried to pay attention to the temp gauge but i didnt see it drop yet when the thermostat opens.

Fuel economy is hard to tell. I have a difference of about 20% on the gauge and a fuel leak at the IP. and i didnt went through a full tank yet. I have to stay in 4th gear cruisin the country roads (somewhat hilly) and my 31s doesnt help. It runs smooth at 2000 rpm going 95 km/h on the highway (corrected). I think it's the peak for the torque, too (luckily!!!) From the seat of my pants, it's about the same as my 4 banger 2wd ranger running 14 inches wheels (28 inches tires). 22 mpg. I'm thinkin about downsizing the tires to 30 inches.:annoyed:

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Well it sounds like you got your priorities sorted! I had a hard time finding those intercoolers for the pajero's even harder time trying to bring myself to pay for one. You might have better luck being in canada.. we don't see many pajero's on this side. I think i'm going to try to make shift a setup with a audi intercooler and a motorcycle radiator fan. Those little suckers can push air really well. Now I'm waiting for a few extra parts from a friend.

Keep on keepin on! glad to see your able to stack a few km's on it now that its a runner!

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Try ebay.com.uk or pocuk, yes it's overseas, but there is one going for 20 pounds on ebay there. I can't imagine it will cost more than 150$ to ship (maybe i'm wrong) pocuk is a pajero owner club, and some members will ship to the us.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals